Which Fuel Drop Tank?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks for the ongoing research .. So if it is an P-39 that would be interesting because I thought these types or planes were not used in our Area. (Zeeland, Holland) I thought these were all sent to Russia and the Pacific. Why did this tank end up in de North Sea near the Scheldt?

I found this picture on a website. You can see the droptank clearly
1593031757733.png

Hey spijkerfestijn,

601 Sqdn was equipped with the Airacobra Mk I from late-1941 to spring 1942, operating out of Duxford. USAAF 350th Fighter Group formed at Duxford during the same period, equipped with P-400 and P-39L models. The range is only about 150-200 miles(?) from Duxford to Goes, Zeeland, but I have no idea if they flew operations over Zeeland. 601 Squadron did fly at least 1 mission over Dunkirk on 9 October 1941. Could the drop tank have drifted from the channel area near Dunkirk to the position where you found it?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reaction ThomasP,
If airocobra's flew missions in this area then there is a link. In the area where the tank was found we find a lot of wreckage from the dunkirk area. The tide could have brought it to our region. Thanks for helping me out on this last question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back