Who would you want to design your fighter - 1943 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,
If I had to pick anyone to design a plane for me back then it would probably be Walt Disney. I know he wasn't a plane designer, and so I wouldn't be expecting much, but it would be cool to tell everyone that you flew a plane designed by Disney. :p
Disney provided artwork for quite a few Army and Navy air units' insignias.

My Grandfather was an executive for Chrysler and always had the newest models - his favorite was the 300.
He passed away beforw I was born, but between the photos and stories my Dad and Uncles mentioned, he had some real nice stuff.
My Grandmother also had new Chrysler's for life, but she was more conservative, however, in the 60's, she did have a fire-engine red Dart GT with a black vinyl roof, black interior and a 273 "Commando" V-8.
I was a member of The Dart/Valiant Slant Six Club of America. Fo' real! All time favorite was the '68 Scat Pak model, AKA the "Bumblee Dart".

How bad was it really? The two-speed supercharger Merlin_XX was allegedly uninstallable in a Spitfire, but somehow, they got the two-stage Griffon into it. In the absence of jet fighters, how do you take the Mustang to the next level of performance?
Easy: use Water Injection. V-1650-9 could reach comparable power on 90" Mercury to what a 2 stage Griffon reached at +21lbs, or roughly 75" if my math is correct

Easy: use Water Injection. V-1650-9 could reach comparable power on 90" Mercury to what a 2 stage Griffon reached at +21lbs, or roughly 75" if my math is correct

Only to a point.

V-1650-9

Griffon

At 10,000ft, with ram, the V-1650-9 with ADi and +30psi boost (90inHg MAP) has a slight advantage over the Griffon with +21psi boost. Both in low gear.

At 20,000ft the Griffon has the advantage, maybe 100hp.

The Griffon would also be rated for +25psi boost late in the war, without ADI, for even higher peak power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back