Why did some British cold war era fighters have pylons for missiles on top of the wings, or in the electric lightings case fuel tanks?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Venomstick121

Airman 1st Class
Dec 21, 2023
Was there a valid reason or was it just an experimental thing?

There were even more sophisticated variants:
1705001265047.png

On the Lightning, there was nowhere beneath the wing that pylons could be mounted. The over-wing fuel tanks were transit tanks only, rarely used, just for long-distance transit flights from, for example, the UK to practice camp in Cyprus or Malta.

In case of the EE Lightning, it was probably so that ejecting of the drop tanks does not hit the stabilators.
In case of the Jaguar, it was probably a thing of having enough of the space atop of the wing when the aircraft was bombed up.

On the Lightning, there was nowhere beneath the wing that pylons could be mounted. The over-wing fuel tanks were transit tanks only, rarely used, just for long-distance transit flights from, for example, the UK to practice camp in Cyprus or Malta.
With Toma and Terry on the Lightning. Note that the stabs sit lower than the wings and that the landing gear took up most for the underside of the wings

1705087134631.png

The Lightning F.Mk 53 had points on the outboard wind to take an underwing pylon. No 119 ERUfor carrying a single 1000 pound bomb or a 155L Matra Launcher for SNEB.

I always liked the look of the wing top missiles on the Sepcat Jaguar.

ptz6r8mpjnv71.jpg

The over-wing pylons also are useful for system pods.

jaguar_17408.gif

The Jaguar is one of my favourite aircraft of the 1980s. With its arrestor hook, good short runway capabilities, twin 30mm cannons and Martel antiship missiles, a squadron or two would have done nicely pre-war at the Falkland's.

I bet Ukraine could do wonders with the Jaguar even today.

Last edited:
I always liked the look of the wing top missiles on the Sepcat Jaguar.

View attachment 759713

The over-wing pylons also are useful for system pods.

View attachment 759715

The Jaguar is one of my favourite aircraft of the 1980s. With its arrestor hook and good short runway capabilities, a squadron or two would have done nicely pre-war at the Falkland's.

I bet Ukraine could do wonders with the Jaguar even today.
Any left?

The Jaguar did trials in RAFG with the Sidewinder, but it was mounted on the port inboard pylon on an adapted Phantom rail. This was well prior to the war. but as said it took what would normally carry a droptank or a bomb.

The outer pylons in RAFG during exercises would carry a Phimat chaff dispenser under the stb outer pylon ( plus a ballast weight ) and an ECM pod under the port... At one point the cartridges to jettison the ECM pods were removed as when you cleared stores in an emergency everything went... and the RAF were getting short of ECM pods, hence the attempts to reduce their losses..

I seem to remember when they first tested the Frightnings over wing droppers they simply rolled in board and stayed put, so they had to add a couple of fins on the back end to rear the thing up into the airflow to make it clear the jet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back