why did the G10 erla got call the G10/AS?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The AS refers the DB605 engine, which had a larger diameter supercharger than the 605A. Thus, it could maintain 1.42 ata up to a higher altitude, 8000 m vs 5700 m

Hello,
I got to wonder since I saw author refering the G10 erla as G10/AS and finded it verry weird

The G10 all came from the ERLA factory. They could have DB605AS engines but also the more powerful DB605DM, DC, DB and ASC and ASB.

There were detail differences in these engines. The AS would have been an early Me 109G10.

All the Me 109 liscense factories came up with their own modifications. Sometimes they were transferred to the others factories eg the ERLA clear view canopy hood or "haube".

Whats a G-10/AS?

There is G-5/AS, G-6/AS, G-6/AS/N, G-14/AS, etc... But a G-10 was just a G-10 as they all had the big AS engine. And they weren't just an Erla build; they were built at Regensberg and WNF Diana.

From what I can tell, G-10/AS is just 'typo' sort of designation, following the pattern above, where a sub variant with an AS engine fitted (and thus the Type 100 or Type 110 nose) just had 'AS' appended... But ALL G-10's had the AS engine (and either the Type 100 or Type 110 nose), thus there was no need to append 'AS'.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back