Why did the RAF put so many resources into the Hurricane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My big (off opic) question is, is the F.5/34 connected in any way to the A6M?

640px-15_Gloster_F.5-34_Fighter_Bristol_Mercury_IX_%2815812158196%29.jpg

Also if you put a Hercules in it, would have been a good substitute for a Hurricane?

Also if you put a Hercules in it, would have been a good substitute for a Hurricane?

1- Nope, it flew before A6M.
2- Even better than Hurricane, provided you can realistically do it.

View attachment 557714

Also if you put a Hercules in it
Two different generations. The F5/34 is, well, a 1934 design. The Hercules is a late 1930s engine, designed as a long haul commercial/transport aircraft engine. By the time the Hercules is readily available for single engine fighter use in the early 1940s, something it was never designed for, we would put it in something else. And not the Hurricane, as the Hercules offers nothing over the Merlin, and again the former was not ideal for single engine fighters.

Bristol Hercules. Why doesn't this engine get more respect?

Last edited:
It looks damn good for a 1934 design. Why not put a Merlin in it then? If it can make ~310 mph with not even a 900 hp engine, what would an extra 200 hp do? Perhaps a bit better than what we got with a Hurri I? Let alone more power still...

It looks damn good for a 1934 design. Why not put a Merlin in it then?
Because besides the quick to produce Hurricane, you have this....

spit_in_clouds.jpg

What role would the F5/34 cover that these two can't? And don't say FAA, as the monolithic wing spar precludes any chances of wing folding. And if you can't offer wing folding, you might as well use this....

6336266535_9327d54774.jpg

View attachment 557714

To the first question "only in some people's imagination."

For some reason coping another design seems much more logical to some people than parallel development. Ie, designers/engineers it different places coming up with nearly the same solution to the same problem.

As far as the Hercules goes, great solution if you want an even worse forward view than an F4U Corsair.
beau38.jpg

Granted this one seems to have a large air filter installed.

Try Stirling
shorts-stirling-nose.jpg

Hmmm.........Wellington???
P025883.jpg

The Carb opening is very close to the top of the engine, You either need to fit an updraft carb or do a lot of work to the intake system, neither is a quick and easy fix.
I would also note that NO single engine Hercules powered plane was put in production, no fighter, no ground attack plane, no multi seat single engine bomber. No recon plane.

1- Nope, it flew before A6M.
2- Even better than Hurricane, provided you can realistically do it.

Regarding the Hercules you are correct as the Hercules weighed approx. double the Mercury which would do horrible things to the F5/34 design.

New one the Bristol Type 146 to me.

That canopy looks a daisy.

That's what I call visibility from the cockpit.

The Carb opening is very close to the top of the engine, You either need to fit an updraft carb or do a lot of work to the intake system, neither is a quick and easy fix.
I would also note that NO single engine Hercules powered plane was put in production, no fighter, no ground attack plane, no multi seat single engine bomber. No recon plane.
I assume they figured out those technical challenges on the Fairey Battle engine test bed but still deemed it unsuitable or with poor ROI for single engine applications.

fairey-battle-testbed-bristol-hercules-radial-n-13095952.jpg

Same conclusion I assume on the Folland 43/37 test bed with a Hercules fitted. The top carb opening appears to have been omitted. Surely that's not the carb opening behind the pilot's head?

mev-10846126.jpg

mev-10846125.jpg

There was also the Northrop Gamma with a test Hercules, ccccc specifications and photos

Last edited:
Because besides the quick to produce Hurricane, you have this....

What role would the F5/34 cover that these two can't?

Ease of manufacturing comparable, hopefully, with Hurricane + performance closer to Spitfire (all of that asumes Merlin is in the nose)?

And don't say FAA, as the monolithic wing spar precludes any chances of wing folding. And if you can't offer wing folding, you might as well use this....

Care to elaborate about the techincalities here?

Ease of manufacturing comparable, hopefully, with Hurricane + performance closer to Spitfire (all of that asumes Merlin is in the nose)?

Care to elaborate about the techincalities here?
The F5/34's wing was built up as a single long piece over the entire 38ft wing span, with the fusalage bolted on top. If you cut the wing to install a hinge you weaken the entire spar. You might as well start with an entirely new aircraft design rather than undertake the necessary modifications of the F5/34.

g250927img57.jpg

The Lockheed Constellation is a good example of a monolithic wing.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fleehamnews.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F05%2FWings.jpg

This is unlike bolt on wings, such as on the Hurricane where the wing isn't part of the core supporting structure. See below and you can easily see where a wing fold could have gone, right where they snap the wings on.

langlei-hurricane-11c-constuction.jpg

Designers chose monolithic wings for a reason; one of the biggest of which is that a monolithic wing is normally both lighter and stiffer than a unit wing. Both the Japanese Zero (folding wing tips) and the F5/34 had monolithic wings because weight was a critical factor in their performance.

That's not to be said that a monolithic wing or mono spar can't be designed from the onset to fold, such as on the F4U Corsair, but that's with a much more powerful engine. Change the F5/34 to a much heavier folding wing and the 840hp Bristol Mercury won't be able to deliver the needed performance.

Last edited:
The F5/34's wing was built up as a single long piece over the entire 38ft wing span, with the fusalage bolted on top. If you cut the wing to install a hinge you weaken the entire spar. You might as well start with an entirely new aircraft design rather than undertake the necessary modifications of the F5/34.

The Lockheed Constellation is a good example of a monolithic wing.

This is unlike bolt on wings, such as on the Hurricane where the wing isn't part of the core supporting structure. See below and you can easily see where a wing fold could have gone, right where they snap the wings on.

Designers chose to built monolithic wings for a reason, one of the biggest of which is that a monolithic wing is normally both lighter and stiffer than a unit wing. Both the Japanese Zero and the F5/34 had monolithic wings because weight was a critical factor in their performance.

That's not to be said that a monolithic wing or mono spar can't be designed from the onset to fold, such as on the F4U Corsair, but that's with a much more powerful engine. Change the F5/34 to a much heavier folding wing and the 840hp Bristol Mercury won't be able to deliver the needed performance.

Okay, so cut the spar where needed, install the hinge and lock (as it was done on Seafire, 4 times per aircraft; on Wildcat 2 times per A/C) and there it is. Any aircraft going from non-folding wing to a folding wing got heavier anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back