Why no 4 engined German bombers with Jumo 211s?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wiking85

Staff Sergeant
Jul 30, 2012
Chicagoland Area
I cannot find a single design that was conceived of around 4 Jumo 211 engines for the Germans; they were either DB601s, 605s, coupled engines, BMW 801s, Jumo 222s, Jumo 213s, or DB603s. Why? It was more fuel efficient than the Daimler engines, had better 30 minute high power rating, and were far more plentiful. I understand prior to 1940-41 due to the lack of pressurized cooling unlike the Daimlers, but thereafter it would seem to have been the prime engine, due to the problems the DB601E/605 and 603 had, the problems with the BMW 801 with cooling, reliability, and production numbers (plus high demand for what was available), and of course the Jumo 213 not really be available in numbers until 1944. The plentiful (relatively) Jumo 211s were reliable and high powered (relatively) by 1941, especially compared to the DB601. They would have been fine for the FW200 or Ju290, especially in terms of fuel efficiency, though not weight in the FW200 case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've never heard the Jumo 211s were more fuel efficient than their 601/605 counterparts, the claim with the 30min power sounds suspect too.
They were too heavy for the Fw 200, causing a forward CoG shift and not powerful enough for the Ju 290.

I would assume that had either the Junkers Ju 89 or Dornier Do 19 been developed they would have been given the Jumo 211 much as the Heinkel He 111 was migrated from the DB601 to the Jumo 211 to make way for DB's being put into Me 109/Me 110 production. I don't see the Jumo 211 being inferior in any way to the DB601E/DB605A in either weight or power. The answer would perhaps lie in
1 timing: the DB600 was ready slightly before the Jumo 211
2 the lack of pressurized cooling circuit seems to have barely increased weight over the DB600 but it may have effected radiator size and energy recovery in the radiator ducts.
3 for some reason Daimler Benz offered the paired DB601 as the DB606 and paired DB605 as DB610. Either DB voluntarily put this into the market or it was asked to do so by the RLM or Heinkel. With the 'dive bomber' imperative twin engined bombers became essential so the Germans became reliant on the DB606 as a backup to the Jumo 222 however neither completed their development on time, the DB606 suffering integration issues and premature manufacture.

Could you imagine if Rolls Royce had of offered a paired Merlin as a replacement for the Vulture in the Manchester that AVRO might have been tempted to take up the offer.

I've never heard the Jumo 211s were more fuel efficient than their 601/605 counterparts, the claim with the 30min power sounds suspect too.
They were too heavy for the Fw 200, causing a forward CoG shift and not powerful enough for the Ju 290.

The C of G shift can be fixed by counter weighting, lengthening the tail and perhaps a tail turret which was proposed for one Fw 200 variant I believe (I recall something like a Fw 200F proposed in Griehls "luftwaffe over Amerika". It does start a development cycle of strengthening of everything, wings, fuselage undercarriage of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back