Why so few single engine Hercules applications?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I find it interesting that there are many who criticise the complicated, unreliable Hercules and there are quite a few examples of pilots flew them and mechanics who worked on them who say they are amazing reliable and easy to work on.
Noteithstanding its decades of operating Bristol radials between the wars, The FAA does not appear to have been satisfied with their sleeve valve Bristols. Other than the short runs of the Albacore and Skua everything else is Bristol ohv engines or liquid cooled V12s until the postwar Sea Fury and the sv Centaurus. Perhaps the Hercules would have seen FAA and wider RAF service had it been an ohv design. I'd expect the ohv powered Swordfish would have been entirely replaced by the Albacore if the latter had a reliable engine.

Last edited:
The actual cost in either money or manufacturing time of sleeve valve engines has been shrouded in secrecy not only during the war but ever since.
This makes evaluating the designs difficult and trying to figure out if alternative designs would have better even more difficult.
Bristol did the sleeve engines to work and work well but since neither the R&D cost or cost of the engines (or cost per horsepower) is known it is almost impossible to say what would have happened if other paths were taken.
The sleeve valve, however attractive it looked in the late 20s or early 30s became a solution to non existent problems by the late 30s or early 40s.

The sleeve valve, however attractive it looked in the late 20s or early 30s became a solution to non existent problems by the late 30s or early 40s.

The Whippet automobile was not a big seller, either. But the Hercules was significantly lighter than its nearest American equivalent, the R-2600.

It reminds me of when Hyundai bragged that you could buy two of their cars for the cost of one Toyota Corolla. Toyota's response was classic, "Compare the repair statistics and you'll see you will need two Hyundais to match one Corolla."

I remember reading about a new sleeve-valve engine a few decades ago - IIRC the racing car company Prodrive built a prototype flat-four sleeve-valve engine for endurance racing. That was the last I heard of it, though.

There are many ways to make an engine, 2 1/2 HP from a 290cc engine is as close to nothing as you can get. A 50cc moped makes 5HP.
I'd reserve your disdain until you have an accurate point of reference. It's rated at 2 1/2 HP under the RAC tax system. That's doesn't mean it produces only 2 1/2 bhp. I expect its actual output to be closer to 12-15 bhp, totally respectable for a sub 300cc engine from the 1920s.

The RAC tax system is why many British car and motorcycle engines were long stroke, narrow bore machines, leading to industry-wide limitations later.

Last edited:

30 to 35hp would be blinding for an air cooled 290cc 4 stroke single today. 10 to 12hp would be more like it in 1919 on roughly 45 octane petrol.

30 to 35hp would be blinding for an air cooled 290cc 4 stroke single today. 10 to 12hp would be more like it in 1919 on roughly 45 octane petrol.
Yes. I was referring to the 998cc Grindlay-Peerless V-Twin, running the B&S sleeve valve, pictured above. A typical litre bike of the 1920s produced about 30 bhp, whilst the pricey and speedy ones like the 100 mph Brough Superior SS100 were good for 50 bhp.

Edit, I see it now, the engine link was on the 290 cc engine. Yes, I expect that was closer to 12 - 15 hp.

Last edited:
Even 10hp is exciting when you have no suspension and brakes and tyres that would be considered poor on a modern shopping bicycle.
Indeed. Here's my 1969 Triumph 500 with front rear drum brakes. Stopping in the rain took some planning and engine braking. The brakes were even worse in the 1920s, and as you say, rear suspension was a rare thing.

Back to sleeve valves, some of the advantages described here Grindlay Peerless - Wikipedia.

Last edited:
At least you haven't got the BSA/Triumph conical front brake that the accountants inflicted on riders from 1971. They are a sick joke of a brake.
True, the 8" TLS front brake was said to be one of the very best front motorcycle drum brakes. I could stop hard, when dry and of course there's no brake fluid or hoses to fiddle with. It was a good bike, here I am riding with my club. But after eleven years and three rebuilds it was time to sell and get something newer.

I had a T120V (drum brakes) and a T140V Disk front. I have owned reed valve two stokes, disk valve two strokes, OHV SOHC and DOHC four strokes a friend of mine had a Wankel rotary Norton and I saw them raced. There have been all sorts of engines, like stepped piston, rotary valve engines, desmo engines. If you don't need to produce a lot of power almost anything can work.

Since this has derailed to motorcycles, here is a quick aside from 1958. A friend was a motorcycle bum at the time with three other guys. My friend had a Vincent Black Shadow, one of the others had a Puch and another had a Bridgestone which was a Japanese copy of a BSA or Triumph. The Bridgestone was especially unreliable. They lived in a closed corner grocery store in New Orleans and they kept the bikes inside and worked inside and slept inside. They decided to have a letterhead printed so they could order parts direct. One morning, while hung over, some one kept banging on the door in spite of being told to go away. Finally, when they opened the door, they found two Japanese men in suits who wanted to give them a franchise to sell Hondas. They said no thanks, "Japanese bikes will never sell in America". Since the men persisted and offered to put in windows, put bikes on consignment, they sent them to motorcycle wanna be who hung around them as a joke. This kid's father had been trying to get his son into something useful and took the offer. The rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread