Why Wildcat=Martlet, Avenger=Tarpon but others unchanged?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

British naming made the planes in question better.
The North American B-25H could have been renamed in RAF service in tribute to the Vickers F.B.5 Gunbus.

North_American_B-25_Mitchell_251.jpg

Martlet is a conspicuously stupid name for a carrier born aircraft, the Martlet was a mythical bird with no feet, it never landed and flew until it died.

Better than naming a slow pig a "Barracuda".
Slow pig? It's all relative. While slow compared to the foreign competition. the Fairey Barracuda was the fastest torpedo bomber ever to serve on the Royal Navy's carriers, postwar Mark 30 acoustic ASW torpedo armed turboprop Gannets aside. The US-origin Tarpons never carried torpedos and the Sharks, Swordfish and Albacores before the Barracuda were relative slugs.

Last edited:
Slow pig? It's all relative. While slow compared to the foreign competition. the Fairey Barracuda was the fastest torpedo bomber ever to serve on the Royal Navy's carriers, postwar Mark 30 acoustic ASW torpedo armed turboprop Gannets aside. The US-origin Tarpons never carried torpedos and the Sharks, Swordfish and Albacores before the Barracuda were relative slugs.

So yeah, compared to the Avenger, slow pig.

ETA: there's a video on Armoured Carriers wherein pilots who flew both the 'Cuda and the Avenger gave their own opinions. You should check it out, they're unsparing.

Last edited:
So yeah, compared to the Avenger, slow pig.
Well yes, but to the British one is a torpedo bomber, the other a level bomber. It's apples to oranges.

It doesn't matter if the Avenger is faster if the British can't get the special torpedoes it needs. Meanwhile the Barracuda is about as fast as the Nakajima B5N, the superlative torpedo bomber of the early Pacific war.

Well yes, but to the British one is a torpedo bomber, the other a level bomber. It's apples to oranges.

To the rest of the world, on the other hand, both are torpedo bombers with extra ability for bombing missions. I mean, there's more to the world than the British view.

It doesn't matter if the Avenger is faster if the British can't get the special torpedoes it needs.

America did fine with it once we sorted our torpedo problems. I'm comparing the two airplanes in general, not the two planes in FAA service -- because, again, there's more to this than British opinion.

Meanwhile the Barracuda is about as fast as the Nakajima B5N, the superlative torpedo bomber of the early Pacific war.

Damned by faint praise. The B5N was a pedestrian plane which got shot down in droves. Its saving grace was that it slung a damned good torpedo. And the 'Cuda intro'ed in what, 1943?

To the rest of the world, on the other hand, both are torpedo bombers with extra ability for bombing missions. I mean, there's more to the world than the British view.

America did fine with it once we sorted our torpedo problems. I'm comparing the two airplanes in general, not the two planes in FAA service -- because, again, there's more to this than British opinion.

Damned by faint praise. The B5N was a pedestrian plane which got shot down in droves. Its saving grace was that it slung a damned good torpedo. And the 'Cuda intro'ed in what, 1943?

A Admiral Beez , you "disagreed" with this post, but you didn't state why.

A Admiral Beez , you "disagreed" with this post, but you didn't state why.
That's the beauty of the disagree button. You don't get the why. I've been here long enough to recognize an infinite loop, where someone gives a reason why, followed by someone else paraphrasing a part of the original post and stating that the posted reason is not valid. And repeat. Hence the infinite loop. So, let's just close this down easily.…
Better than naming a slow pig a "Barracuda".
I agree. 100%.

Last edited:
That's the beauty of the disagree button. You don't get the why. I've been here long enough to recognize an infinite loop, where someone gives a reason why, followed by someone else paraphrasing a part of the original post and stating that the posted reason is not valid. And repeat. Hence the infinite loop. So, let's just close this down easily.…

I agree. 100%.

It's a shame that you phrased your reply completely ignoring my point, which I had hoped was plain. But whatever. You don't want to address it, and that's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back