World Ace List and Other Data (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
This post started off as a rant about data theft. But I posted a world aerial victory list of WWII in it, so ... Skip down to the attached Excel file and you can bypass all the complaining.

Original Post:
Here's a website that took my parsed list of Jan Safarik's German victory data and generated their own website from it.

Luftwaffe's WWII list of aerial victories and downed aircraft during Sep - Dec 1944

Exactly the same data as my parsing of Jan's data, line for line! I know because I inserted "unknown" for all the blank pilot names and made some replacements for German terms that are all exactly the same and, as far as I can tell, nobody else has parsed and posted Jan Safarik's data exactly the same as I did in Excel, and I have searched for the data, believe me. The site above is not a bad site, to be sure, but this is why I am reluctant to post things that took months or more of work.

No complaint herein about the forum, you guys have been great. Just a heads up about thieves who use your work and don't give credit to either Jan Safarik who collected the data from all over or to me who spent a long time getting into useful form. They'll do the same to you in a heartbeat, I'm sure.

Still, I guess having the data available for public use is worth the bother. At least you can look at either my list or the one above and actually get the best data I have found on the subject in 40+ years of trying.

So, cheers to you all anyway!

Keep 'em flying!

- Greg :)

Last edited:
Here's a website that took my parsed list of Jan Safarik's German victory data and generated their own website from it.

Luftwaffe's WWII list of aerial victories and downed aircraft during Sep - Dec 1944

Exactly the same data as my parsing of Jan's data, line for line! I know because I inserted "unknown" for all the blank pilot names and made some replacements for German terms that are all exactly the same and, as far as I can tell, nobody else has parsed and posted Jan Safarik's data exactly the same as I did in Excel, and I have searched for the data, believe me. The site above is not a bad site, to be sure, but this is why I am reluctant to post things that took months or more of work.

No complaint herein about the forum, you guys have been great. Just a heads up about thieves who use your work and don't give credit to either Jan Safarik who collected the data from all over or to me who spent a long time getting into useful form. They'll do the same to you in a heartbeat, I'm sure.

Still, I guess having the data available for public use is worth the bother. At least you can look at either my list or the one above and actually get the best data I have found on the subject in 40+ years of trying.

So, cheers to you all anyway!

Keep 'em flying!

- Greg :)
I'm sorry to hear that Greg.

No sweat, and I suppose posting in public doesn't guarantee someone won't take it and write a book ... the perils of sharing.

But, I think it is more important to share data about WWII (or Viet Nam, etc.) than to not post it due to someone using it for their own gain. I found the data hard to come by. Hopefully, others won't do what this site did and you guys and gals will not be deterred from sharing your research ... at LEAST research into victory credits.

I'll publish a world ace list in this thread soon. I'm cleaning it up as I write this.

Cheers to all! :)

Hi Greg,

You're not alone - that particular website has stolen from nearly anyone who has placed interesting Luftwaffe-related information on the Internet. It's definitely disheartening to see your material stolen and posted up by someone else without acknowledgement. See Neil Page's blog post here for a few more details: Il -2 board hosted by Asisbiz.com - picture, text and book theft -Asissbiz Asisbiz JG, KG, photos -edit January 2016

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com

You should be happy that you are contributing to a site that also warns the World about the cabal running everything Asisbiz graphic art studio
sarcasm.gif

Last edited:
My buddy and I had a small mail order aircraft photo business. The copyright procedures 40-45 years ago did not readily fit to an on going photo accumulation. We learned if we stamped each slide and photo "all rights reserved" and as long as we retained the original, if we saw one of our photos in print (i.e. someone making money) we could file legal procedures. It would seem if the website in question charges a subscription or uses ads for which they are paid, they are liable for damages to one's intellectual properties. There are lots of needy, under employed lawyers who have resorted to suing each other.

My buddy and I had a small mail order aircraft photo business. The copyright procedures 40-45 years ago did not readily fit to an on going photo accumulation. We learned if we stamped each slide and photo "all rights reserved" and as long as we retained the original, if we saw one of our photos in print (i.e. someone making money) we could file legal procedures. It would seem if the website in question charges a subscription or uses ads for which they are paid, they are liable for damages to one's intellectual properties. There are lots of needy, under employed lawyers who have resorted to suing each other.

Right. Any original work of intellectual property receives a natural copyright of seven years, but must be marked as you mention to preserve that until one can get the work to the Library of Congress for registration and life+70 years protection.

GregP GregP , going forward you should consider copyrighting your work. It's cheap and fairly effective in protecting your works.

We might want to remove direct links to the copyfraud site so it's not traced by Bots to increase its search rank in Google & co. I believe putting that in code tags should work.
Site is already ranked way too high in google

any chance for a DMCA takedown notice to its US hoster? Or to Google that may help to reduce ranking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back