Would the Aichi D3A or Mitsubishi A6M Zero have an external or internal electrical battery to start its engine? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

12v 20A lead acid battery
The battery in my motorcycle was bigger than that ;)

You are not going to get very many tries on starting with such a small battery.

There may have been an external plug. Depending on conditions (temperature? number of aircraft to be launched? time of flight on last flight to charge battery? ) the crew may have cranked, or used a battery cart (if available) or used the internal battery.

The battery in my motorcycle was bigger than that ;)

You are not going to get very many tries on starting with such a small battery.

There may have been an external plug. Depending on conditions (temperature? number of aircraft to be launched? time of flight on last flight to charge battery? ) the crew may have cranked, or used a battery cart (if available) or used the internal battery.
Going by the info from the post about the Hamp. I think this might have driven an electric motor that in turn drove an inertia starter, but I'm guessing. I've seen no power carts on Japanese Carriers

leaving the electric motor out of the inertial starter can certainly save weight. But that means it is hand crank all the time. You can't use the internal battery.

If you have the electric motor attached to the inertial starter then adding a few feet of wire and plug/connector for an external battery doesn't seem like big a deal.

leaving the electric motor out of the inertial starter can certainly save weight. But that means it is hand crank all the time. You can't use the internal battery.

If you have the electric motor attached to the inertial starter then adding a few feet of wire and plug/connector for an external battery doesn't seem like big a deal.
My thoughts as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back