WW II bomber sight?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wild votex

Recruit
Apr 3, 2017
A friend has come across this item when Cleaning out her deceased father's shop. Can someone tell me exactly what it is? Can someone give me an idea of what it's worth?

13768.jpeg
13770.jpeg
13772.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like part of a Norden bomb sight.
As I'm no expert in US instruments I wouldn't go any further than that, nor can I tell you what an incomplete instrument in that condition might be worth.
Cheers
Steve

Ok, thanks. Hopefully someone else will jump in and confirm that. Meanwhile, I have a starting point.

Thank you for the picture and auction information Herman and Steve. I have notified them. They are looking for more of it but doubt they will find anymore of it.

Steve

Yes it does look pretty cool. I have not seen it in person yet. They found it and sent those pictures asking me to find out what it was. I figured it was some sight just from my military involvement. Since he also has a engine for a B-29 APU I figured bomber.
I will be over there tomorrow afternoon so I will take a look for a SN

Ok, got a look at it today below are the only numbers I found. Of course I know that the last one is not the SN and I highly doubt it came from a
B-21.

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_134843.jpg
    IMG_20170818_134843.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20170818_134757.jpg
    IMG_20170818_134757.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20170818_134929.jpg
    IMG_20170818_134929.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 87
The earlier post that had the link to Henderson Enterprises website was right- that's the place to go. Dave Henderson may be the foremost collector and expert in the Norden sight in the US. He has a contact link on his website.
But as posted earlier, the example you've photographed is incomplete and in questionable condition. Probably suitable for a man cave display. They can probably get $600-$1000 on eBay for it.
You can see how the entire system works on Tim Moore's video on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsr46v8vV8o

I am the author of the above video and here is a good link to it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsr46v8vV8o
. I have actually purchased the Norden bombsight business from the above mentioned Henderson Enterprises and my intention is to restore all Norden bombsights to full function in order to preserve this incredible part of our history. I have also posted several teaching videos in the Aviation Section.

Tim, what would you be interested in buying this for and I just cannot figure out the logistics of getting it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back