ww1 books

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alecras234

Senior Airman
Sep 6, 2018
Hi im Ash, im from north wales. I have been trying to read ww1 autobiographies on my kindle namely, Terror of the autumn skies, and Sagittarius Rising. I was looking forward to reading them, hearing how they became pilots and where they flew to. I got lost and the wording threw me and so i gave up. Whilst reading Sagittarius Rising, i didnt get past the first chapter because the story threw me, i got lost. What should i do when i get lost and lose track of what's going on?

Would taking notes while you're reading help? You could then put the storyline together in a way that works for you. For example, some books jump around the timeline when going from chapter to chapter. By starting a page for each point on the timeline, you can simply add new info as it's revealed in the book and (hopefully) keep tabs on what's happening.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Ash,
I've read quite a few WW1-era biographies and stories, and I understand some of the difficulties.

It took me reading a couple of books before I felt fully confident reading them - the language is different, and sentence structure is different too. You don't realise how much the English language has changed until you read books a century old!
So, I'd encourage you to persist, even if you have to go back later and re-read a book.

If you're having trouble following timelines, etc, I'd take notes - the act of writing seems to solidify memories for me.

P.S. most of these books are now out of copyright, so are legally able to be downloaded. Gutenberg.org does all the research of the copyright status, and posts, so it is worth a look.

which WW1 books are easy to understand? what i don't understand about the ww1 book Sagittarius Rising is, it starts off with him and im not sure whether he's with a mate, they write a letter to the War office, and then he talks about i think his childhood of aviation as a hobby, it mentions him meeting Hill which im not sure who he is. Then it says, if you walk across the bridge at St James' park and look east you'll see Whitehall and the War office. I don't understand the english nor the way he jumps around. Why doesn't it say, on the day of my training i flew a Maurice Longhorn with the captain sat behind me giving me instructions? That simply.

Alec, the problem is that all books with autobiographies are written with the enormous amount of feelings and thoughts. It may cause such books very incomprehensible to you. Usually these books don't contain bare facts that can be remembered in the easy way. Authors may not follow the chronology of the events, mixing many facts or adding some info that is not necessarily true.. etc. in order to make the story more interesting or attractive. The reading of all such books requires some of the general knowledge of the History especially of the period of time the author is writing about.

which WW1 books are easy to understand? what i don't understand about the ww1 book Sagittarius Rising is, it starts off with him and im not sure whether he's with a mate, they write a letter to the War office, and then he talks about i think his childhood of aviation as a hobby, it mentions him meeting Hill which im not sure who he is. Then it says, if you walk across the bridge at St James' park and look east you'll see Whitehall and the War office. I don't understand the english nor the way he jumps around. Why doesn't it say, on the day of my training i flew a Maurice Longhorn with the captain sat behind me giving me instructions? That simply.
There aren't really that are easy. Don't forget, the guys writing these books weren't authors, they were soldiers. That, combined with old language make them more difficult to read.
If I were you, I'd persist with reading one, and you'll get used to it eventually.

I found this e book on amazon and i find it a lot easier to read.

552925405a.jpg

it says in my book,
Bosnia had been a recent and unwilling addition to the Habsburg Empire. Resentful Bosnian Serbs dreamt of freedom and incorporation into the nation of Serbia. Nationalistic groups formed, determined to use violence to strike terror at the heart of the Austrian–Hungarian empire. How can i answer this question please? Why was Franz Ferdinand shot?

could i say that why was franz frdinand shot? Because the Bosnian people were unhappy with Austia-Hungary ruling over them

so far this is what ive done.

When did Franz Ferdinand and his wife visit Sarajevo? 28 June 1914

What was the reason for their visit? To inspect the troops of the Austrian-Hungarian army

What terrorist group killed Franz Ferdinand and his wife? The Black Hand

why was Franz Ferdinand shot ? Because Bosnian people weren't happy with Austria-Hungary's rule

What terrorist group wanted to strike terror in the Austria-Hungary empire? the Black hand

who threw the first grenade at Franz Ferdinand's car? Nedjelko Cabrinovic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back