WW2 aircraft serial number (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Derek

Recruit
Jul 14, 2019
I have recently seen a picture of my late grandad in his time in the RAF. He served from 1939. I was wondering what information could be gathered from the tail number in the background K5685.

Many thanks in advance
Derek
DSC_2561.JPG

I would be careful with the WW2 aircraft. The tail seems to be painted silver and covered with fabric what indicates the pre-war plane. Of course it might have been of the yellow what would indicate a training plane.

I have recently seen a picture of my late grandad in his time in the RAF. He served from 1939. I was wondering what information could be gathered from the tail number in the background K5685.

Many thanks in advance
Derek View attachment 544706

I should add, I don't have any knowledge where he was posted but I do know his title in his marriage certificate 1943 said Engine Fitter Aircraftman on his sons birth certificate 1945 it said Cpl Aircraftman

Many thanks for the responses. Interesting to find out what kind of plane it was in the background and what happened to it. Through the background info I now know the picture would have been taken at some point between 1939 and 1940.

Looking at the crash information, any reason why the crash date is given as 10th Jan 1940 but the casualty dates are given as 30th Sept 1940?
Plus the CWGC Register says Country Pakistan, does this mean that is where it came down?
Sorry if the questions above should be obvious, just that I've never looked at any of this before.

Thanks again
Derek

It looks like the plane was crashed 10 Jan 40 while being in the 2 FPP ( Ferry Pilots Pool ) . Then she could have been repaired and sent to the 20 Squadron in India (Pakistan) when she was crased again with killed crews.

Interesting, it might explain the confusion I have in dates. I have now found out through Forces War Records website, the date my grand-dad joined up was May 1941. If this plane (K5685 and not K6685) crashed and was beyond repair in Sept 1940, how could he have had a photograph beside it?

Im your forst post you mantioned he started servicing from 1939. But now it is different. So the K6685 sounds better. Do you have a better copy of the image?

BTW.. the shape of the first digit looks more like the "5" than the "6" though

DSC_2561.JPG
DSC_2561_b.jpg

Im your forst post you mantioned he started servicing from 1939. But now it is different. So the K6685 sounds better. Do you have a better copy of the image?

BTW.. the shape of the first digit looks more like the "5" than the "6" though

View attachment 545099View attachment 545100
Hi,
Apologies I made an assumption that he had served from the start of the war (1939) however since posting I joined the Forces War Records website and from that it shows he enlisted in Edinburgh in May 1941.
I agree it does look like K5685 and not K6685 but the K5685 doesn't make sense if he enlisted in 1941 and this plane crashed (beyond repair) in Sept 1940.
Would they re-use Tail code numbers?
Thanks
Derek

....Would they re-use Tail code numbers?
Thanks
Derek

A such number wasn't the code actually but the serial and a kind of tactical number and shouldn't be used twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back