WW2 RAF base relic recovery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Steve T

Airman
Dec 17, 2010
Hi all

I wanted to share with you the work of the WW2 Relic Retrieval Preservation Group (RRPG), and their recent visit to an RAF airbase dump.

The dump was located after some extensive research, landowner contacted and permission gained to dig the dump. After an initial visit to survey the site by myself, the group returned a few weeks later to clear rubbish left by illegal diggers, and to dig test pits to determine the extent of the dump.

The result was one of the most productive relic recovery operations ever performed by the RRPG. I estimate that more than 100 No. 28/30 bomb pistols were recovered, along with 50+ No 848 (or possibly 42), nose fuze components. Along with these finds, large amounts of Air Ministry and War Department marked relics were recovered, as well as numerous personal items.

The video of the dig can be found by following the below link.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTw5IBszJqQ

Whilst the majority of AM marked parts have been identified, there are a few that still elude precise ID. If any of you can help ID anything in the video please post a reply.

I hope you find the video interesting.

Steve T

(Chairman, RRPG)

Interesting stuff Steve, thanks for posting. Where in the UK are you based? I have a sweep and dig planned for the near future, on a known crash site, with land owners permission, where you and your guys could possible help. Send me a PM and I'll give you some details.
Terry.

I think Leiston is one of the fields Gary and Tony included in their recent tour. Given that land owners are agreeable, and it doesn't cause disruption - or unwanted publicity - some times it's possible to have a bit of a search around, within reason.

Thanks guys :) I was amazed at the number of bomb pistol/fuzes we recovered. Also found other bits not covered in the video, such as a cockpit light switch from a Lancaster and a radio frequency dial with all the graduations still on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back