ww2 spitfire wheel identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stephen.Dixon

Airman
Mar 24, 2013
Dear users

I've recently joined this site with the express purpose of uploading a few images for you to look at.

I bought a wheel from a guy at Ripon carboot in the United Kingdom. He told me it was the rear wheel for either a spitfire or a hurricane. i also bought other things from him.

I'm hoping that someone can assist me with its identification.

Regards
Steve

IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG

I'm not an expert but I'm quite sure someone will be along shortly with some information, it looks right to me.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like a Spitfire tailwheel to me.

These are:

IMG_0285_zps4dd7853c.gif

IMG_0287_zpsa701e8d5.gif

There should be a Dunlop number stamped into the casting,AH 2184/number,for a Spitfire. That looks like a genuine Palmer Aero tyre,maybe someone knows something about the Hurricane tailwheel. I know it has three bolts arranged like that but the rest doesn't seem familiar. I'll happily be wrong though!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Looks a bit like a Hurricane tail wheel, but it needs someone like Tony (Rocketeer) to confirm the stampings etc.
BTW, your pics are taking a long time to load, at 1.87MB. You need to re-size to no more than than 800 x 600 px before uploading direct to the forum.

No problem Steve - thought i'd just let you know for future reference. I take you you're based in North Yorkshire? Ripon's a nice place, used to get there quite a lot. Got relatives in Wetherby.

Yeah, I'm just outside York.

I'm having a look through the site, its pretty good. I'm going to tell some of the other guys and get them to have a look.

Some good articles and good users commenting.

Might be coming up to Elvington again sometime this year - I'll let you know when or if. Last two visits last year were a real contrast - p*ss*ng down on one, and cracking the flags a month later!!

Your descriptions accurately describe the weather in York most of the time.

It's a great little museum at elvibgton. They upgraded the Barnes Wallis exhibit a few years back which is rather good.

Thanks for your comments sirs.

Is there anyway to date it or find out which aircraft it came from or unit with the numbers on it?

I would say so, just need someone who knows or can track those numbers for ya. (Will check the net for ya myself later on, see if we can find something definite)

Another thing that might help is if you can find out where the tail wheel came from, or from whom the seller aquired it... (detective work!)

I agree Hurricane tailwheel did you buy it or inherit it if you bought it you should ask the person who gave it to you if you inherited it or got it as a gift ask whoever gave it to you!

I bought it from a chap. He didn't know anything about it save that it was from either a spitfire or a hurricane. It came from a large private collection of aviation archeology.

I bought rather a lot from him and this is one of the few items I can't place.

I'm hoping that one of the forum users can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the users who have PM'd me so far with offers of assistance. It's greatly appreciated and I hope I'll be able to return the favour.

Steve

I hasten to add that the owner of the collection passed away and the chap selling was his son.

The death wasn't recent. They guy just doesn't know anything. He had no interest whatsoever in aircraft.

I paid him a fair price for the majority of the collection. Most was labeled up or logged up in a book with details.

This peice came with no information but was kept in the "prize room" with other prices of interest.

Resurrecting an old thread, so I apologize - but I have a tail wheel I also would like identifying which purports to be from a Spitfire, the markings I can read are that it's a Palmer wheel, 3.50*3 1/2, code PB25.

Attached is a photograph, and I would appreciate advice if anyone has any? I'm currently cataloging a large collection of aviation related items but being a novice I'm dubious about some of the descriptions!

Attachments

• DSCN2441.JPG
    DSCN2441.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back