WW2 Without the Merlin: Options for the British

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree that the Gloster f.5/34 wold be a prime candidate to take the Twin-Wasp - not different in size weight. However, IMHO I'm not at all convinced it could take the Hercules - both longer and heavier, which will shift the CofG!

I think it's a better aircraft for the Far-East than the RN - see my entry in the Poll for Allied Aircraft in the Far East - last entry goes back to May!

No centre bearing? I can see why the engine wasn't even flown, let alone accepted because the 1937 article doesn't mention that Alvis added a center bearing. So essentially the Pelides might have been a comparative lightweight and used better engineering and materials than the G-R, but it was still seriously flawed. If Alvis continued the practice with the 18 cylinder Alcides.

Another 1937 Flight article shows how much effort Alvis put into the engines Alvis Engine Testing 1937 Flight Archive

The same flaw doomed the Armstrong-Siddeley Tiger, the first production engine to use a 2 speed supercharger. Even the earlier and smaller Jaguar and Panther had problems but what you can get away with in 400-600hp 14 cylinder engines is not what you can get away with when you try for 900-1100hp.

I would also note that the 1190lb weight given in some of these tables is for a direct drive engine, Prop turns the same speed as the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread