WWII bomber plane propellars?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hcahoon

Recruit
Mar 30, 2022
We have had these in the family since the early 80's. Was told they came from a WWII bomber plane. Not sure which type of plane, any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220326_145445_HDR~2.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220326_145428_HDR~2.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 52
We have had these in the family since the early 80's. Was told they came from a WWII bomber plane. Not sure which type of plane, any ideas?
Are there any markings on the hubs (the metal parts at the top)?

They don't look to be made of laminated wood like aircraft props are.

Are there any markings on the hubs (the metal parts at the top)?

The metal is rusted up quite a bit so hard to read any markings. I am thinking the laminate has peeled off as you can see there is just a little bit of it left

The metal is rusted up quite a bit so hard to read any markings. I am thinking the laminate has peeled off as you can see there is just a little bit of it left
The blades are made up of a number of layers of wood laminated together, and will often have a fabric laminated over that. The dark lines may be the glue joins, but its hard to see from the photos. a photo of what numbering is on the hubs would help. I know wide blades with square tips are often used on airboats or hovercraft as well.

Is there any metal on the leading edge of the blades?

Judging by the shape of these baldes these could be the post war products rather. I can't remind any WW2 bomber with such like in shape prop blades. Also the grey colour may indicate the blades made after the war. Additionally the metal blade adaptor doesn't look like these used for the WW2 props.

It seems that one of the blades has the remnants of the blade number. A pity there is nothing more. What are the blade dimensions?

General dimensions would greatly help as well as what country they are in. Also better photos and dimensions of the hub - dimensions can be within a couple of mm or 1/8 inch.

Good observations, they don't appear to be bonded laminations instead appear to be made of a good piece of knot free wood which implies a light duty. Also no leading edge guards so short duty. The profile doesn't seem high strength at the hub adapter. So I'm wondering if these are from a blower ? I looked at some old tail rotors and these all seem to have the hub adapters lined up with leading edge (so no). An idea is a target drone. Some had ground adjustment on props - say fine pitch for banner tow.
Let's see dimensions and photos of the hub adapters up close. Always fun to de mystify artifacts.

To tell if natural wood or bonded laminations the latter will be identical between blades and the lamination lines will exactly follow thickness whereas natural trees have varying features.
Another thought here are test club blades?

Looks like lamination's that are coming apart to me

As for test clubs - not a chance. I have seen the destruction that the outer 1/3 of one prop blade causes when it separates, broken mounts, torn castings, etc etc and there is no way anyone with any smarts would risk a newly overhauled engine OR the engine mounts and test facility by using anything that has any potential to fail.

Attachments

• 1649220994938.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread