WWII Mine Blown Up Spectacularly in Front of English Beach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats cool! I'm surprised it went off, seeing as it didnt when it was dropped. Plus all that time in water! Wonder why they only found it now?

Pretty cool. Looked a lot more innocuous than I would think a naval mine would look. More like a couple of half kegs of beer welded together.

[ It looks like a magneitc mine of some description. Was it of German, or Allied origin. Not much corrosion, must be aluminium or similar

We get at least 2 mines/bombs found off the sea front where I live every year the biggest was not German but a 5000lb British remote controlled anti shipping mine. The idea was guys from the home guard would man the det post 24-7 and if enemy vessels tried to make their way up the Thames he would set it off. It certainly made my house windows rattle when the UXB guys blew it up and that was over 4 miles away. I always wonder why it was not removed straight after the war.
Off the Maplin sands(about 8 miles from me) a few years ago during an exceptional low tide the arse end of a V2 broke surface really wierd to see these tail fins and motor appearing out of the sands they never blew it though as it was not in the shipping lanes so was not threat.
This was the last one found
Mine detonation fails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back