Hi Biff,
By "not babying the Allisons," I mean Steve was sometimes pulling 55"+ MAP. Not always, of course, but I'm assuming when they went vertical on the way up from less-than-high airspeed. The P-38 will outclimb the P-51 at lower altitudes, but not likely from low-but-identical airspeeds. I rather doubt the P-51's were babying their Merlins, either when looping from airshow airspeeds. Neither was either type using even full military power in the airshow clip. After all, they weren't exactly flying with 145 performance number fuel. I doubt if anyone in the formation was pulling more than about 1,000 - 1,100 hp.
As for the comment about what it doesn't show (not yours, Biff), what it clearly tells me is the dissimilar aircraft have no problems flying formation. Our fighters cruise to airshows and other public displays together routinely in formation, and they don't have any trouble. We have even had a P-47, P-38, and P-51 information with an F-22, and THEY didn't have any trouble with it, either.
In fact, I have never heard any of our pilots, speakers, or visitors say they had any trouble flying in formation with another aircraft type. Not sure where the notion they would have trouble staying in formation with dissimilar aircraft would even come from.
I'm sure they wouldn't do it for extended periods unless there was a reason to do so, but the capability is certainly there. Liquid-cooled inline fighters would probably have trouble flying for extended periods at 185 mph (plug fouling), but the radials would have little difficulty cruising at 250 - 280 mph except for the extra fuel consumption. They certainly have the ability to cruise with one another for some time, should the need arise, regardless of altitude, unless you happen to be right at the altitude where a supercharger in one of the birds changes gears automatically.
I'd place a bet that Biff flew formation in an F-15 with something other than another F-15 at some point.
Mal H, THANK YOU for posting!
