XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Power to weight will affect climb more than any other measurement. Early P-39D/F/K/L P/W ratio was 18% higher than Spitfire V and 29% higher than 109G. Was quite overweight. Less weight improved climb, which was what the early P-39D/F/K/L needed most. Later N model with more powerful engine climbed very well.

And agree - to say something is "overweight" based on power to weight is only comparable to similar aircraft of the day. My point.

Well, a Spitfire V weighed 6600lbs and had a 1200hp engine. A 109G weighed 7000lbs and had a 1475hp engine. An early P-39D/F/K/L weighed 7650lbs and had a 1150hp engine. See the power/weight ratios? EarlyP-39 was overweight.
Must admit I'm a bit confused by the whole "power to weight" comparison given that propulsive power for a given engine hp will vary depending on the gearing and propeller, while the weight component really only becomes a factor as a proportion of available lift generated by the flying surfaces.
I would say power to weight is entirely based on what the other guys are building. The Wildcat would have had a fine power to weight ratio if the Zero had weighed 9,000 pounds, but as it was the Wildcat and P39 and P40 were all a bit porky
What are you willing to do without? A6M and BF109 were essentially minimalist machines, both more susceptible to battle damage than the US machines mentioned, which can't be accused of flimsyness. "Hell for stout" was our motto, and we had this tendency to "gadgetize" anything with wings.
Zero achieved its performance with lightness and slickness and "zero" protection, on a rather weak engine, while the Messerschmitt did it with small size and a cutting edge powerplant. Spitfire was an aerodynamic tour de force with an exceptionally fine engine, but a little more fragile than US was comfortable with. Built to US structural standards by anyone other than Reg Mitchell, our X-spurt friend would be calling it porky.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Larry Bell was not a Horikoshi, or a Mitchell or a Messerschmitt, witness missed opportunities such as the carburetor air intake, or adjusting wing positioning to ameliorate the CG issue.
Several suggestions have been made to lighten the early P39, most of which are impractical for CG, structural, or operational reasons, would not at the time have been recognized as necessary or desirable, and come with overly optimistic claims of performance enhancements. What I see is still a sow's ear.

Last edited:
Are you basing this on your highly calibrated eyeballs or are you really good at guessing loft dimensions based on professional experience.....
No, just a plain understanding of written English. The L-133 was a conformal design - the wing thickness altered to allow it to engulf the axial engines in the wingroots. That means the wing was a lot thicker at the root, then thinned out toward the midsection, and was finally a conventional wing much further out. The P-80s is a simple, straight wing from the wingroot right to the tip.
......Well go get your shovel.....
You use a shovel to type? I'm impressed! Instead, I'll just put up some 3-views of the L-133 and the P-80, you can compare them to the 3-view of the XP-59B, and then you can shovel off a reply telling us how the much bigger L-133 is somehow closer to the P-80 than the XP-59B:
1603053755046.png
1603053874951.png
1603053929350.png

.....I worked with people in the mid 1980s who were on the XP-80 program and it was designed from the ground up.....
And I'm sure, after several decades of repeating the company line, those Lockheed employees actually believed it.
.....The only thing Lockheed got from Bell was a great opportunity based on their failure to further their basic design....
Actually, the authorities took the design away from Bell because Bell's design staff were already overloaded with other projects, just as the authorities had not given it to Lockheed to start with because Lockheed were too busy sorting out the flaws with the P-38. Now, personally, I think that was a good thing because the P-38 was really needed for the PTO, and the resulting P-80 was very good design. Had Germany held out longer then the P-80 would have been a far better fighter for the USAAF in the ETO than the Bell P-83 could have been, though the P-83's superior range might have made it the better choice for the PTO if the Manhattan Project had not succeeded. The idea that Bell were massively incompetent, and Lockheed were somehow simply devine, simply doesn't gell with the history of the P-38's development alone.

I don't think 2 airplanes looking alike means they were designed by the same people. All ww2 single engine fighters had the engine in the front (except the P39)etc. There are only so many ways to do an airplane that will fly. All current pickup trucks look basically alike.

Well, a Spitfire V weighed 6600lbs and had a 1200hp engine. A 109G weighed 7000lbs and had a 1475hp engine. An early P-39D/F/K/L weighed 7650lbs and had a 1150hp engine. See the power/weight ratios? EarlyP-39 was overweight.

P-39Ds were having less than 1150 HP at 12000 ft (sometimes under 1100 HP at that altitude). Later the situation slightly improved, engines were indeed making 1150 HP at 12000 ft.
Spitfire V was enjoying ~1350 HP at 12000 ft.
Bf 109F4 (fully rated engine) and early G (de-rated, 2600 rpm operation) = 1350 PS or 1300 PS at 12000 ft, respectively.

At 20000 ft:
P-39 D-K: 850-870 HP
Spitfire V: ~1050 HP
The 109s from above: ~1150 PS or ~1240 PS

Non-turbo V-1710 was a decent engine, but it was not as good engine as Merlin or DB 601/605 were.

What are you willing to do without? A6M and BF109 were essentially minimalist machines, both more susceptible to battle damage than the US machines mentioned, which can't be accused of flimsyness. "Hell for stout" was our motto, and we had this tendency to "gadgetize" anything with wings.
Zero achieved its performance with lightness and slickness and "zero" protection, on a rather weak engine, while the Messerschmitt did it with small size and a cutting edge powerplant. Spitfire was an aerodynamic tour de force with an exceptionally fine engine, but a little more fragile than US was comfortable with. Built to US structural standards by anyone other than Reg Mitchell, our X-spurt friend would be calling it porky.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Larry Bell was not a Horikoshi, or a Mitchell or a Messerschmitt, witness missed opportunities such as the carburetor air intake, or adjusting wing positioning to ameliorate the CG issue.
Several suggestions have been made to lighten the early P39, most of which are impractical for CG, structural, or operational reasons, would not at the time have been recognized as necessary or desirable, and come with overly optimistic claims of performance enhancements. What I see is still a sow's ear.
I completely understand your point, but I guess there is a middle ground somewhere which is where aircraft manufacturers play. Of course we all want armor and self sealing fuel tanks along with good weapons, but who here if given the choice between flying a Zero and F2F-3 Buffalo against each other 1 on 1 would choose the F2F-3? When your limited to engines less than 1200 hp your simply limited on what you can carry or at least how well you can carry it.

Last edited:
No, just a plain understanding of written English. The L-133 was a conformal design - the wing thickness altered to allow it to engulf the axial engines in the wingroots. That means the wing was a lot thicker at the root, then thinned out toward the midsection, and was finally a conventional wing much further out. The P-80s is a simple, straight wing from the wingroot right to the tip.
You use a shovel to type? I'm impressed! Instead, I'll just put up some 3-views of the L-133 and the P-80, you can compare them to the 3-view of the XP-59B, and then you can shovel off a reply telling us how the much bigger L-133 is somehow closer to the P-80 than the XP-59B:

You're making assumptions based on non-scale 3 view drawings that were done by a graphic artist! That's laughable!

And I'm sure, after several decades of repeating the company line, those Lockheed employees actually believed it.

No, again I'll tell you those employees I knew WORKED on the project - they were in the Skunk Works AS I WAS FOR 3 YEARS!

Lockheed XP-80 "Lulu Belle"

Actually, the authorities took the design away from Bell because Bell's design staff were already overloaded with other projects, just as the authorities had not given it to Lockheed to start with because Lockheed were too busy sorting out the flaws with the P-38. Now, personally, I think that was a good thing because the P-38 was really needed for the PTO, and the resulting P-80 was very good design. Had Germany held out longer then the P-80 would have been a far better fighter for the USAAF in the ETO than the Bell P-83 could have been, though the P-83's superior range might have made it the better choice for the PTO if the Manhattan Project had not succeeded. The idea that Bell were massively incompetent, and Lockheed were somehow simply devine, simply doesn't gell with the history of the P-38's development alone.

Well show us proof that the government "took the design" away from Bell and gave it to Lockheed!!!! And what "projects" was Bell working on that made them sooooo busy? And for sorting out P-38 "flaws," yea, Lockheed was so busy that they managed to build something like 35 P-38s a day, build B-17s down the street (literally) at the Vega plant and open up the P-80 production line right along side the P-38 line!

Oh - and they were building Constellations and starting the P2 Neptune program at the same facility!!!

Sorry if you have a hard time believing history

Last edited:
Tsk, tsk, did you actually banish him? To bad, he was fun to watch! Worth a chuckle now and again.

I know he was entertaining but he was warned twice. I was intrigued about his ability to determine dimensions and loft data from internet 3 view drawings!

I have a book, actually two, on lofting, and though I COULD get through it, I'm not needing to loft just now. But, I can tell you that math for good lofting, while not too complicated, is also not simple, and you're NOT going to get it from a drawing. I do 3-views myself, and I use a bezier tool for lofting. They might have back in the day, too, IF they had been available ... but they weren't. So, they had to do actual lofting.

Here's one of my efforts:
P51D_New.jpg

and I can tell you, the lofting was NOT done with classic lofting data. I used a bezier tool. It ain't a bad drawing, but it's also not 100% scale. The rivets are close, but not exact in number. the lines could be off by 1/4 inch or so, the NAA logo is my own reproduction, not an official company logo. I could go on, but this is good enough for a museum drawing or an illustration in a book.

I would not use it for scale documentation ... although I DID compete in RC aerobatics (not scale) for some years a couple of decade back (RC Pattern), I can tell you that the scale judges I used to see working at contests would not know what was not to scale in my drawing above. Some people in here might.

There is ONE rather glaring error in the drawing above ... the side view. Anybody want to make a stab at it?

I have a book, actually two, on lofting, and though I COULD get through it, I'm not needing to loft just now. But, I can tell you that math for good lofting, while not too complicated, is also not simple, and you're NOT going to get it from a drawing. I do 3-views myself, and I use a bezier tool for lofting. They might have back in the day, too, IF they had been available ... but they weren't. So, they had to do actual lofting.

Here's one of my efforts:View attachment 598767

and I can tell you, the lofting was NOT done with classic lofting data. I used a bezier tool. It ain't a bad drawing, but it's also not 100% scale. The rivets are close, but not exact in number. the lines could be off by 1/4 inch or so, the NAA logo is my own reproduction, not an official company logo. I could go on, but this is good enough for a museum drawing or an illustration in a book.

I would not use it for scale documentation ... although I DID compete in RC aerobatics (not scale) for some years a couple of decade back (RC Pattern), I can tell you that the scale judges I used to see working at contests would not know what was not to scale in my drawing above. Some people in here might.

There is ONE rather glaring error in the drawing above ... the side view. Anybody want to make a stab at it?

Side view is missing guns?

Hi Biff, Yup, that was QUICK. I didn't notice it myself until I posted this! At least I can go back and fix it easily.

My point was that FlyboyJ is correct; you ain't gonna' get accurate interior spaces, lofting data, or even 100% correct lines from a small, non-factory 3-view drawing that wasn't used in the actual production process.

So, while I think my P-51 is pretty decent, you wouldn't want to drill CNC holes using my drawing for a reproduction full-scale aircraft. I HAVE made new skins for a WWII warbird. But I didn't use a drawing. I copied an old, original skin by laying it flat over a new piece of Aluminum, drilling and using clecos through both skins to copy the rivet hole placement.

Cheers!

Hey Fubar 57, lofting is the process of forming the curves between skins, such as where the wing joins the fuselage. Basically they join with many straight lines and the curve is formed by following the outside of the lines. Sort of like below, where many straight lines are used to come up with a good-looking, streamlined curve between two surfaces. The curve shown is not lofted correctly, but is illustrative of what I mean. I didn't calculate the lofting lines ... I just threw some lines in and followed the curve as an illustration. If you do, maybe, 25 of these, correctly ... each one different, you come up with the wing fairings between the wing and fuselage. A good example might be the fairings between the wing and fuselage of a P-36.

Or lofting might be "relaxing in the attic ... with a good, cold beer!"

Lofted Curve.jpg

Lofting was BC ... before computers and, actually, before computers with decent software on them. See the wing fairings on the P-36 below. All done with actual lofting.

0a4a82aa9f7dfb6fad58239c1657deeb.jpg

Nothing magic about it, but also not as simple as you might think to get the exact curves right.

Cheers again! :)

Last edited:
Tsk, tsk, did you actually banish him? Too bad, he was fun to watch

I must admit members like that are funny, that one we had a few weeks ago that was convinced the USA won the air war single handily was a scream, there are rules we all have to follow but the fanatical ones are hilarious to listen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back