XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said 15 P-39s were shot down by zeros, 44 lost total, this against 15 zeros lost to P-39s, this is a 1 to 1 ratio in the air. If you include the total 44 lost P-39s this comes out to 2.9 to 1
Also wouldn't it be more fair/factual if we're going with 44 TOTAL Airacobras lost with how many TOTAL Zeros were lost, if that number were possible to find? I mean, apples to apples right?

The only drawback to this approach is likely higher torsional loads on the center section to wing panel attach points, which the center section points may not be stressed to handle. IIRC, that problem arose with the Sturmovik, and turned out to be more than a simple bolt-on field mod.

Hello XBe02Drvr,

The Sturmovik was just one illustration of the idea. There are a bunch of others that were done.
The Me 262 had a much more drastic change to its wing planform to hang a pair of rather heavy engines further back to maintain CoG.
The FW 200 Condor in later versions had swept outer wing sections presumably for the same type of CoG issue.

The P-39 had a three spar wing. The objective as I see it would be to move the Center of Lift about 3.5% or 4% MAC (about 3.22 inches) aft. The problem though is that a bit over 1000 pounds of structure would also be moving so the calculations are obviously not quite that simple. The benefit is that the fuel tanks would also be moving which means that a disposable load is now further back from the CoG and would balance out the disposable loads in the nose.

If there are some torsional loads to be considered, I believe they could be compensated for by reducing the maximum G load from the standard 8/12 G down to something like 7.5/11.25 G as for other aircraft that gained some weight from their initial designs. Even the last versions of the Airacobra had not gained substantial weight from the initial service versions.

I believe the best idea would have been a much more thorough redesign instead of a patch job when the P-39 lost its interceptor mission.

- Ivan.

Also wouldn't it be more fair/factual if we're going with 44 TOTAL Airacobras lost with how many TOTAL Zeros were lost, if that number were possible to find? I mean, apples to apples right?
Yes - my point. If we're just talking air-to-air, it was a draw. According to the posted numbers 15 Zeros and 15 P-39s were lost air-to-air but we don't know if additional Zeros were lost to other causes.

I. AM. SPEECHLESS.
So am I, someone doesn't know what hearsay means, a pilots report is not hearsay, someone saying "I heard a pilot say" is hearsay. Pilots reports on the P-39 including reports on those who died in non operational missions in UK, played a part in them all being shipped to Russia. An individual pilots report may or maynot be in error, when many pilots report the same thing only a fool would discount it.
hearsay
[ˈhɪəseɪ]

NOUN

1. information received from other people which cannot be substantiated; rumour.

• the report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

Exactly - cull the P-39 operational losses out of the total number and it becomes a wash.
ONLY include the P-39's operational losses in the total number if the A6M group's operational losses can be added.

Perhaps, but the P-51B had the Packard-Merlin V-1650-3 @ 1,620hp. and the P-51D had the Packard-Merlin V-1650-7 @ 1,695hp.
So there was an increase of hp. but again, there was also an increase in weight between the two variants.
Late model P-51 B and Cs switched to the -7. The difference between the two versions was the supercharger drive ratio. The -7 used lower ratios and therefore developed more HP at lower altitudes at the expense of high altitude performance.

And the original point of the P-51B/P-51D comparison, was that the P-51D (empty) was heavier than the P-51B (empty), yet had better performance - contrary to someone's insistence that a lighter P-39 would have had better performance.

So again: weight alone is not the magic solution to a type's performance.

Hello P-39 "Expert",

I guess you really do have a comprehension problem.

I never mention any of your problems and I would appreciate you keeping the discussion on topic without the personal attacks. Does it make you feel better to belittle people?

Have you actually figured out how adjusting the mixture control for best power actually works? There isn't a "Best Power" label.
Trying to do this in maneuvering flight while also trying to avoid catching bullets is just not an intelligent thing to do.
You will never have a chance for conditions to stabilize enough.

There is no "best power" label but the mixture control can be adjusted between the settings.

You obviously didn't read the rest of the memorandum or don't understand what achieving 335 MPH on partial power really means. Please stop telling me what I have read and what I haven't read. Keep the personal attacks to yourself.
ONE P-39K achieved 370 MPH, just like a P-39D achieved only 358 MPH. The big difference in the tests I am quoting for the P-39s as versus the A6M2 is that the P-39 were aircraft deemed to be in good condition and the tests were representative of their type by the service that normally operated them.
The A6M2 was a crashed aircraft repaired but never had all its systems working properly and tested by its captors who didn't really know how to run it properly.

That's the only Zero available to test. It was restored to the best available condition.

Glad it is comparable to a A6M2 running at partial power with a poorly working carburetor.

Other A6M2s were tested and the vast majority topped out at 330mph.

Probably because the only service that had the opportunity to test the A6M2 to determine the actual maximum speed apparently never cared to do so. They only listed the speed at "Normal Power". This is pretty typical for Japanese aircraft.
Actually we are talking about more like 15 MPH. The claim is 345 MPH as maximum speed for the A6M2. Now the Zero is up to 345mph? A few more pages and it'll be doing 400.
The USN apparently agreed with this assessment and issued a memorandum to that effect later in the war.
I have not yet found the document though it is mentioned in Mr. Dunn's article.

I did not ask what the listed weight of he P-39D-1 was. I asked if you had any proof that the test aircraft was loaded to that weight. You are making an assumption here. Please observe that in many other test reports specifying a specific model of aircraft, the weight, CoG, loads and other specific details are mentioned and most of the time they do NOT agree with the standard details of the aircraft being tested.

The test does not mention the weight of the D-1 tested. I gave you the normal listed weight.

I believe he was a good pilot trying to use a few tricks to make his aeroplane look better than it should have.

Like overboosting the engine on takeoff? Risking engine damage or failure? What did takeoff run matter in these tests? More likely a novice pilot in an unfamiliar airplane.

First of all, I am not trying to "prove" anything other than the fact that you can't do math. Another personal attack, thanks.
Even when I claim that the A6M2 was probably faster than 335 MPH, I qualify what I claim as a GUESS.
Perhaps the Aleutian A6M2 rebuilt after a crash and with a poorly rebuilt carb and running at part throttle was the fastest Zero ever built. I don't think so, but maybe SOME people do. People also tend to write books very often without primary sources by just quoting from others who have written books. Just because a statistics is often repeated doesn't mean it is correct. We finally agree on something. The last sentence.

You might observe that Richard Dunn, who certainly knows more about the A6M2 than I do, does not state his conclusion as an absolute but just as "very likely". Saburo Sakai states that 345 MPH was the maximum speed of the A6M2 based on his personal experience but you will note that Dunn did not take that as conclusive evidence either though it certainly was a strong data point. I saw a documentary on TV once and the veteran surviving Japanese pilot said the top speed of the Zero was 308mph.

You are also making claims for performance when:
1. The client DIDN'T WANT the changes you propose. Who is the client? The AAF? Or the combat pilots? Who wouldn't want a faster climbing airplane? At the expense of four .30caMGs?
2. The operators didn't agree that those changes were a good idea. They wanted more armour, not less. According to which operators? The Russians certainly didn't agree.
3. You are using techniques to estimate performance that do not follow good aerodynamic principles. My only premise is that weight affects climb, all other things being equal. In other words if a plane is made lighter it will climb better, and the improvement in climb can be quantified by the amount of weight removed. Can you argue with that?
Please expand above.

I've heard similar, somewhere I think it was calculated a 1 to 1.45 kill/ loss ratio, Zero to P-39

If you want to include all causes

Some points made, the P-39, despite it's reputation in the SWP did hold it's own but at the same time look at some of the P-39 units that transitioned into the P-38 in the later part of 1942 and the leap in combat victories. Those same early P-38 units operated under dismal conditions as well and had the P-38 been available earlier it would have made a huge difference. Research the 39th and 80th fighter squadrons and some of the aces that emerged from those units and how things turned around into 1943, all occurring when they got the P-38.
And nobody ever notes the attrition of the best Japanese pilots by the P-39, P-40 and F4F. The P-39 and P-40 were still the most numerous AAF fighters in NG until Sept '43. The newer AAF pilots were much better trained than the earlier pilots, and the Japanese replacements were much worse in their training. The P-38, Corsair and Hellcat pilots were facing declining competition.

As far as I know, there are two ways to calculate kill-to-loss ratio:

1) Own losses in air-to-air combat alone against air-to-air victories, and
2) All combat losses against all victories.

The real issue is that the USAAF and the USN / USMC do NOT save the data the same way.

The Navy breaks out losses as losses on action sorties and losses to non-action missions. Losses on action sorties are losses to: 1) Enemy aircraft, 2) losses to AAA, and 3) Operational losses on combat mission unrelated to combat (ran out of fuel, engine malfunction, mid-air collision, post a prop). Losses on non-action sorties are losses: 1) Losses on Ship (carrier sank) or Ground, and 2) Losses on Other Flights (such as repositioning flights, maintenance flights, etc.).

The USAAC/F, on the other hand, just tracks all Combat losses, but they break victories up into: 1) Air-to-air, and 2) Ground.

By way of example, take the F6F Hellcat: Air-to-air: 270 air-to-air losses; 5,163 kills = 19.1 : 1 in air-to-air combat. But, if you look at ALL combat losses, you get: 1,163 losses against 5,163 kills = 4.44 : 1 overall.

If you look at the P-51 Mustang, we see: 2,520 combat losses, 4,950 air-to-air victories = 1.96 : 1 in air-to-air combat. But, the P-51 also had 4,131 ground kills. If you add air and ground kills, you get 9,081 kills. So, we have 2,520 combat losses against 9,081 kill = 3.60 : 1 kill-to-loss combat total.

We can't break out air-to-air losses for the P-51 and we can't break out air versus ground kills for the F6F. So, the only real comparison is total ratio: F6F = 4.44 : 1 and P-51 =3.60 : 1. The only thing we CAN say is that the F6F kills can't have too many on the ground versus the P-51's total because the ocean won't support stationary airplanes. Therefore, there are many fewer ground kills in the case of the F6F. But, we can't say how many.

By the way, the data for the P-51 is ETO-only from Ray Wagner's American Combat Planes. The data for the F6F is from Naval Combat Statistics of World War II.

I show the P-39 as 107 combat losses against 32 kills for a kill-to-loss ratio of 0.3 : 1. But, that is for the ETO only. I don't have the P-39's Pacific numbers and am not sure where to find them.

In the 19:35 comments "they were too heavy and lacked a supercharger". Everyone knew they were too heavy, why didn't they reduce the weight? And the lack of a supercharger is another myth that has been perpetuated for 75 years.

P-39 Expert,

I heard / noticed that as well. Not sure if the guy narrating the film is a pilot or not. Did you notice how he said the P-38 had a supercharger? I know of the supercharger myth surrounding these engines, but when he mentioned that the 38 had a supercharger, and the 39 did not, I assumed he meant turbo, or turbosupercharger for period speak.

"Testing was factual and comparable. Pilot reports were hearsay and opinion." P-39 Expert

This comment is astounding. If testing was so factual and comparable, why did it get repeated so often? Why were there so many comments about engines running rough, large sections of rebuilt aircraft, and no manual?

If pilot reports were hearsay, why did the guys who were running the war want them? So the first guy who reported a Me-262, or long nosed FW-190, or a Me-109 with a bigger spinner were all speaking hearsay? I fought a non-export version of another countries primary fighter. I was talked to before the fight by several different people, and after the fight I did a AAR (After Action Report) and received several phone calls plus more debriefings by Intel. I was only a 4 ship flight lead, not an IP / Test Pilot. I wonder why they (Intel) wanted my opinion / experience so badly.

You also mentioned Chuck Yeagers fondness of the P-39. Did he fly it only in training, where the CG was most likely as far forward as could be made for the safety of new / novice fighter pilots? Have you ever reached out to him to ask his opinion on whether it would have made him an ace like the P-51 did? Be careful, he doesn't tolerate what he deems silly questions very well.

You never replied to my earlier, rather long post (594) so I don't hold much hope here either but will say it regardless. There are aviation mechanics, pilots, engineers who are mechanics and pilots, all whose experience with aircraft, military and otherwise, is quite large. They have stated and made known their collective background, experience yet you don't believe or give them due credit.

I have to ask, what is your aviation / mechanical experience? Have you sat down with and discussed P-39s with the guys who flew it, or other fighters in WW2? Have you worked on / restored / raced any as members here have? Have you taken flight lessons? Or are you like the majority of us gleaning through piles of old information, often with contradictory "facts", trying to sort out what really happened and why? There is a blend of both on here, and you aren't giving ANY credit to the other group or anyone who doesn't agree with your assumptions. Be careful, that's not the way to gain credibility.

Cheers,
Biff

You said 15 P-39s were shot down by zeros, 44 lost total, this against 15 zeros lost to P-39s, this is a 1 to 1 ratio in the air. If you include the total 44 lost P-39s this comes out to 2.9 to 1
That is what Claringbold writes, but not clearly; it can be misconstrued that these are the total combat losses for both sides during the campaign/ time period. That is not the case, for both sides lost P-39's and Zero's to enemy action on missions where they didn't meet in combat.

That is the total losses in the combats in which P-39's met Zero's in combat. So 44 P-39's lost to all causes against 15 Zero's lost to all causes (all causes in this case being P-39's).

And a "pilot report" is not the same thing as a "hangar story" to impress the locals many years after active duty. Active-duty pilot reports are solicited to give other active-duty pilots an edge in combat. If they are "inflated" or false in any way, everyone will know when they try the suggested tactic(s) in the pilot report, so nobody gives false active-duty pilot reports, even the show-off guys.

On the other hand, very specific numbers recalled 50 years later are suspect since our memories are generally rose-colored. I'd not trust an old WWII pilot who thought the best climb speed for some fighter was some exact number, but I DO trust him when he says that he never reached his airplane's top speed on a combat mission unless he was in a dive, because who wants to run their engine at absolute full power when you are 500 miles from home over hostile territory with a currently-good-running engine? That's why I believe the old guys when they say combat speeds were in the 250 - 350 mph range unless the fight was a descending chase. When combat joined, they went to military power and mostly only used WEP if their life was in danger, not just to get an offensive kill. There were exceptions, but not very many after the crew chief reamed the pilot for breaking the throttle gate wire without a good reason. That sometimes meant an engine change for the crew, and they would not be happy about it.

Luckily, today's jets don't have quite the issue the WWII planes did. They routinely go into afterburner (and usually track hot temperature cycles) on takeoff, whereas NOBODY used (or uses) WEP for takeoff in a piston fighter. There might not be enough rudder or aileron to stay on the runway if they did. Of course, we also don't have 150 performance number fuel today, either, so nobody runs the old engines at what used to be WEP.

And nobody ever notes the attrition of the best Japanese pilots by the P-39, P-40 and F4F. The P-39 and P-40 were still the most numerous AAF fighters in NG until Sept '43. The newer AAF pilots were much better trained than the earlier pilots, and the Japanese replacements were much worse in their training. The P-38, Corsair and Hellcat pilots were facing declining competition.
Not in late 1942/ early 1943 and it depends where we are talking. Many seasoned JN pilots were lost at Midway and that attrition never fully recovered. JAAF pilots were a different story. The P-39, P-40 and F4F over the Solomons barely scraped over a 1 to 1 kill/ claim ratio. Once the P-38 came on scene scores jumped. This is well documented in the 39th and 80th FS histories as well as other units that gave up their P-39s for P-38s. With that said, the P-39 did serve a purpose, it did hold the line but we weren't going to win the war with a 1:1 kill ratio.

As far as I know, there are two ways to calculate kill-to-loss ratio:

1) Own losses in air-to-air combat alone against air-to-air victories, and
2) All combat losses against all victories.

The real issue is that the USAAF and the USN / USMC do NOT save the data the same way.

The Navy breaks out losses as losses on action sorties and losses to non-action missions. Losses on action sorties are losses to: 1) Enemy aircraft, 2) losses to AAA, and 3) Operational losses on combat mission unrelated to combat (ran out of fuel, engine malfunction, mid-air collision, post a prop). Losses on non-action sorties are losses: 1) Losses on Ship (carrier sank) or Ground, and 2) Losses on Other Flights (such as repositioning flights, maintenance flights, etc.).

The USAAC/F, on the other hand, just tracks all Combat losses, but they break victories up into: 1) Air-to-air, and 2) Ground.

By way of example, take the F6F Hellcat: Air-to-air: 270 air-to-air losses; 5,163 kills = 19.1 : 1 in air-to-air combat. But, if you look at ALL combat losses, you get: 1,163 losses against 5,163 kills = 4.44 : 1 overall.

If you look at the P-51 Mustang, we see: 2,520 combat losses, 4,950 air-to-air victories = 1.96 : 1 in air-to-air combat. But, the P-51 also had 4,131 ground kills. If you add air and ground kills, you get 9,081 kills. So, we have 2,520 combat losses against 9,081 kill = 3.60 : 1 kill-to-loss combat total.

We can't break out air-to-air losses for the P-51 and we can't break out air versus ground kills for the F6F. So, the only real comparison is total ratio: F6F = 4.44 : 1 and P-51 =3.60 : 1. The only thing we CAN say is that the F6F kills can't have too many on the ground versus the P-51's total because the ocean won't support stationary airplanes. Therefore, there are many fewer ground kills in the case of the F6F. But, we can't say how many.

By the way, the data for the P-51 is ETO-only from Ray Wagner's American Combat Planes. The data for the F6F is from Naval Combat Statistics of World War II.

I show the P-39 as 107 combat losses against 32 kills for a kill-to-loss ratio of 0.3 : 1. But, that is for the ETO only. I don't have the P-39's Pacific numbers and am not sure where to find them.
These are not kills they are claims. There is usually a large difference.

And the original point of the P-51B/P-51D comparison, was that the P-51D (empty) was heavier than the P-51B (empty), yet had better performance - contrary to someone's insistence that a lighter P-39 would have had better performance.

So again: weight alone is not the magic solution to a type's performance.

Without the racks, the P-51B was probably faster, not slower. With racks on, the positions switched. P-51D used more streamlined racks, 4 mph cost vs. 12 mph on the B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back