XP-51B pictures? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bozothenutter

Airman
Feb 10, 2021
Hi,
Merging a P-51 with a P-51B here to create the final 'high wing' XP-51B.
Are there any pics other than the set taken on the factory (?) apron?

Are there any pics from the Ames wind tunnel set, taken from the rear?
I know the rad intake wasn't finalized yet, but am looking for the way the lower cowling merged with the wing.

Looking to recreate this:
north-american-mustang-xp-51b-41-37352.jpg

You need a Mustang I through Mustang IA airframe/wing to start with. The P-51B dropped the wing 3 inches from NA-91 WL reference, had a larger scoop that originally dad a shallow V top surface to better conform to wing dihedral, and a smaller 'gutter' than the Ames modification. The Ames mod intriduced the forward slant to the intake scoop, entire scoop lowered slightly into the Boundary Layer -

You need a Mustang I through Mustang IA airframe/wing to start with. The P-51B dropped the wing 3 inches from NA-91 WL reference, had a larger scoop that originally dad a shallow V top surface to better conform to wing dihedral, and a smaller 'gutter' than the Ames modification. The Ames mod intriduced the forward slant to the intake scoop, entire scoop lowered slightly into the Boundary Layer -
That is exactly what I'm doing.
The 'B' is just the donor for the engine cowling and radiator intake.
20220728-162942.jpg

A preliminary taped up mess...

"entire scoop lowered slightly into the Boundary Layer -"
Wouldn't that be 'out of the boundary layer'? The boundary layer is next to the fuselage. Lowering the scoop would get it further away from that.

Hi,
Merging a P-51 with a P-51B here to create the final 'high wing' XP-51B.
Are there any pics other than the set taken on the factory (?) apron?

Are there any pics from the Ames wind tunnel set, taken from the rear?
I know the rad intake wasn't finalized yet, but am looking for the way the lower cowling merged with the wing.

Looking to recreate this:
View attachment 679454
I have a number of photos of both of the two XP-51Bs --- they're not that hard to find, but they're probably the ones that you talk about being on the "factory apron."

The thing that surprises, amazes and PUZZLES me is this: there do not seem to be any photos of either of them flying ... or EVEN sitting on the ground with the engine "ticking over." There obviously are NO movies either - there ARE movies of earlier and later Mustang models and prototypes, but NONE of either of these two VERY IMPORTANT prototype aircraft.

You will have to do some "serious" mods on the P-51B cowling to recreate the shape of that of the two XP-51Bs - see the bulge below the engine in your photo above? That's obviously where the carb air intake duct goes under the Merlin, and then rises 3 or 4 inches to get that air to the updraft carb on the Packard Merlin V1650-3. The photo above is XP-51B prototype No. 1, which you probably know. I believe it was No. 2 that was sent to the Ames Lab for wind-tunnel testing. The shrouds through which the exhaust stacks pass will have to be "created" as well - it sorta reminds me of the one on the P-51H and the P/F-82s with Merlins.

...just some things that spun-off my old brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back