'Yahu' Instrument Panels.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I mentioned in the 'Recent Purchases' threads, that I would post pics of the 'Yahu' instrument panel for the 1/48th scale Mosquito.
'Yahu' are a Polish company, who supply ready-made instrument panels in various scales.
I first noticed them about a year ago, with an advert for a Spitfire panel, and decided to try one out for a 1/48th scale Mosquito.
Having now received the panel, and had a close look, I'm staggered by the detail and quality. Having been impressed, back in the early 1970's, with the simple, printed paper panels supplied at that time by BMW Models, and then seen the advent of precise instrument decals, followed by the multi-part, pre-printed in colour PE panels supplied by Eduard, I thought nothing could top these, even if the Eduard panels are perhaps a little 'soft' in the printed detail.
How wrong I was - the detail on these 'Yahu' panels is just amazing, with even the screws replicated !
The finish is a sort of slightly worn-looking, smooth matt black, which closely replicates the real thing, with the 3D effect making the individual instruments 'pop out', and each instrument, and tiny placard, can actually be read - even the very small engine instruments, at the left on the Mosquito panel.

The 'Yahu' range is limited at the moment, compared to the vast range produced by Eduard, but is expanding quickly, with more items being added to the product list weekly, and, at present, such aircraft as the Spitfire, Bf109 and other 'popular' types can be found listed in the 'Yahu' product range.
The panels are one-piece, ready assembled items, on a metal backing, and designed to just stick to the rubbed-down kit part, or replace the kit panel altogether if so desired. They are not self-adhesive, so something like a CA adhesive should be used. The instrument faces are not glazed, although they do have a 'glazed effect', so it's down to personal choice whether or not a drop of clear varnish, or PVA, is added to each dial. Personally, I don't think they need it.

Below is a scan of the 'Yahu' Mosquito panel, in 1/48th scale, alongside the equivalent parts from the Eduard 'Zoom' PE fret, plus an angled photo of the 'Yahu' panel, showing the detail and 3D effect, and a close-up shot taken through two layers of polythene bags.
I bought my panel from Hannant's, and I've also seen then on e-bay 'shops', and it appears that they can be obtained world-wide.

(I have no involvement with 'Yahu', Hannant's, e-bay shops,or any other direct or indirect interest with these companies, other than being a customer).

Buys 456.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 088.jpg
Bob's Mosquito Build 087.jpg
Bob's Mosquito Build 089.JPG
Buys 458.JPG

Thanks chaps.
They're well worth it Wayne.
I feel as if I'm cheating slightly, using ready-made parts. But I've just looked at a 1/48th Mosquito panel I painted around 25 years ago, and there's no way I can do that sort of work now, so, with the panel being so prominent, and with the quality and clarity of these items being so good, I had to ask myself "Why spoil a model with a poor panel, when one of these can be used ?".
I think I'll be using some more, on those models where the panel can be clearly seen.

20161219_163740.jpg

The packaging...

20161219_163840.jpg

...the actual panel.

Verdict: As the famous model builder Darth Vader once said; "Impressive...most impressive..."

Nice one Jim, and I knew you'd be impressed, especially as that's tiny tot scale !
Having just spent an hour b*ggering about trying to assemble another Eduard Mosquito panel, I think that, in those instances where I decide to use a ready-made panel, it'll be 'Yahu' from now on.

I would have to agree Terry. I imagine there is no way I could duplicate the fidelity shown on this instrument panel. Would you say a drop of something Shiney and clean over the instrument dials?

PS Was also mightily impressed by the Mosquito vac canopies you showed on your build thread. Amazing.

Jim, I thought about 'glazing' the instruments for some time, but I'm not sure if they already have a very thin clear film sandwiched between the panel parts.
The 'depth' of each instrument accentuates the '3D' effect, so I really don't know if a drop of clear varnish or similar, would benefit, or detract from the appearance. I'm tending towards leaving them 'as is', but I'll glaze one instrument as a trial, and let you know what it's like, and post a pic if it shows up OK on camera.

Those vac-formed canopies are truly amazing, and they're much more rigid than others I've used, or even made myself. They can be sanded or trimmed fairly easily too, and I was even able to chamfer the edges of the 'V' windscreen on the bomber version.
The company produce a range of other canopies, and some can be purchased as a pair, one open, one closed. I think I might be getting a couple for kits where the canopy provided is perhaps not quite '100%' and Spitfire canopies come to mind.

Glazing.

Following Jim's question regarding glazing the instruments on 'Yahu' panels, I decided to try this out.
Before attempting to glaze one or two of the dials, using Humbrol Clear Gloss in this instance, I first closely examined the 1/48th scale Mosquito panel.
This is already glazed, and can be clearly seen as such when examined closely, and more so when the panel is at an angle. This explains the high contrast definition, between the instruments and the surrounding panel.
I did not proceed with the trial glazing, as I believe that the addition of a liquid, such as a gloss clear varnish, or PVA, would more than likely degrade the clarity of each instrument dial, causing some degree of distortion or defusion, even if only slight, and detracting from the superb clarity and definition of the dials.
I would strongly suggest that these panels are not glazed further - the appearance as supplied is extremely realistic, and also more to scale than the addition of other mediums could ever hope to achieve.

20161221_113837.jpg

I can confirm that there is some sort of clear reflective coating on the instrument faces. (Note circular reflections in photo above) Amazing. Would love to see how these are produced.

It really is amazing !
Take care when handling - I accidentally dropped mine, and tiny dust particles can be seen in the angled photo I posted earlier. Also, the face of the main panel may be prone to scratching easily, so it's best kept stored until use.

Recently bought a pair of their P-47 panels, in 1/48th scale, and definitely not disappointed !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back