You are a WW2 pilot and you get to pick your plane.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CarlAce

Airman
Mar 3, 2016
I know this sounds dumb and cliche, but I'm curious if you were a WW2 pilot and you got you're choice to fly in any plane fighter/bomber/attacker which would you choose and a short reason behind it.

If the plane you chose is American, assume you're in the American military same with Britain, Germany, Russia etc. Assume that if you're a fighter you will engage in dogfights and if you're a bomber you will engage in bombing runs. Thanks!

EDIT: I see there was a thread like this in 2012. Well it'd be cool to see if your opinion has changed.

Personally I would choose an A-20 Havoc, because it cool and I would like to be in an attacker/close air support role.

My choice hasn't changed - PBY off of Key West ASW patrol. Morning patrols, cocktails at Sloppy Joe's with Ernest Hemmingway in the evening. Might even have to give a tour to some locals.
flyingyacht36.jpg

Mine hasn't changed either - a Piper Cub, in the north of Scotland.
An aircraft that won't try to kill you (unless you're really stupid !), and as far away from the shooting as possible.
Oh, and more whisky than elsewhere, and probably bacon too !!

Mine hasn't changed either - a Piper Cub, in the north of Scotland.
An aircraft that won't try to kill you (unless you're really stupid !), and as far away from the shooting as possible.
Oh, and more whisky than elsewhere, and probably bacon too !!

Seems to be a trait of Piper aircraft in general. I love flying the Piper Cherokee. Very forgiving and docile aircraft that you have to try to kill yourself in.

Last edited:
I agree Chris. It's some years ago now, but I got to fly the Cherokee, and the Cherokee Arrow, as well as an ex- WW2 Cub.
All were very stable, and a joy to fly, but the Cub was just a dream.
Stall ?
You had to request it, in writing, with three copies !
And side-slipping the last few feet, then kicking it straight for landing, seemed to be 'the thing to do', then roll out to a halt in what seemed like two or three aircraft lengths !
Of course, these days, I'd need steps, and the assistance of a couple of strong guys, just to get into a Cub !!

I agree Chris. It's some years ago now, but I got to fly the Cherokee, and the Cherokee Arrow, as well as an ex- WW2 Cub.
All were very stable, and a joy to fly, but the Cub was just a dream.
Stall ?
You had to request it, in writing, with three copies !
And side-slipping the last few feet, then kicking it straight for landing, seemed to be 'the thing to do', then roll out to a halt in what seemed like two or three aircraft lengths !
Of course, these days, I'd need steps, and the assistance of a couple of strong guys, just to get into a Cub !!

Trying to stall a Cherokee is feat...

How about a Westland Lysander with an intrepid traveler in the back-seat and headed into the heart of the French countryside in a moonless night somewhere in 1942.
Now that would be a nice bed story for the grandkids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back