Zink Chromate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colorless

Recruit
Oct 17, 2013
I'm building a Revell P-61 Black Widow. Even though I've been building models for years, I need to paint them from the instructions right out of the box. I'm 100% colorblind, so mixing matching is out for me. This is my first attempt building a military plane and I've run into the color; Zink Chromate. I've read a lot about it and even though I can buy green or yellow Zink Chromate, I have know idea which to use for the interior (cockpit) verses exterior parts. I would appreciate any help with this.

Colorless

Very useful article linked below. Excerpt from Part II:

"Northrop P-61 Black Widow

Factory instructions for the P-61 stated that all exposed interior surfaces of the pilot, gunner and navigator compartments were to be finished in Northrop Cockpit Green, another factory-specific variant of Interior Green. Instrument panels were to be finished in flat black. Interior surfaces visible from the outside carried the same finish as the outside of the aircraft.

Zinc Chromate Yellow was used as general finish of all unexposed interior surfaces of the P-61. Even the wheel wells were finished in this colour. Two exceptions were the inner surfaces of engine cowlings and the firewalls which were left unpainted."

Camouflage Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part I)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back