1/48 Zoukei-Mura Ta 152H

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Weizenbrot

Airman
Jan 12, 2023
Hi all, I started this kit last March and finally finished it these days. Ta 152 is always one of my favorite aircrafts. Although it was somehow rough-and-ready during the time it was designed, the radial radiator and long-span wings are so beautiful and definitely worth building. I used to build a Ta 152C from Dragon, which was a kit I enjoyed. I noticed in the instrument that the H version includes a complete engine. It was very attractive to me and almost immediately gave me an idea to build a Dragon or Trimester Ta 152H. However this old kit's price has rocketed and the kit itself is not that easy to get. So I switched to Zoukei-Mura.

I knew some of ZM's 1/32 aircrafts which are famous for internal details. The idea of Zoukei-Mura is to provide an experience like building the real aircraft which is very attractive to me. However, comparing with their 32nd scale kit, this 48th scale kit simplified many details. So I decided to do some research and add them back. The kit, for example, separated the fuselage into three pieces, this is exactly the way real FW 190 series aircrafts were built, however it also brought some fitting problems. Same thing happened on the wing. In the following article, I will show the whole processes of building this kit.

The aftermarket parts I used are listed below:
Reskit Ta 152 wheels
Reskit resin line fittings
Liang Model 3D print bolts and rivets
Quinta Studio rivet decals
ANZY universal placards & symbols decals
Master brass barrels for FW 190
Finemolds WW2 Luftwaffe safety belts

The research references are listed below:
"The Focke-Wulf Ta 152" of Thomas H. Hitchcock
"WWII German Best Fighters - Fw190D & Ta152"of Nohara Shigeru
"Zoukei-mura CONCEPT NOTE SWS No.II"
Materials form Ta-152.de
Pictures from C. Silverlight 2018 on WordPress.com
And special thanks to the kind and helpful staffs from NASM archive for finding the micro films of manuals for me.

Considering this is the first time for me to build an aircraft with interior structures, I decided to focus more on the engine. The other reason of this decision is that there is no clear pictures or drawings for other areas like the gun bay. Come back to the kit, The Jumo 213 offered by Zoukei-mura has much more details than what we can get from Trimester's old kit. However, it still simplified many details. Here I used copper and aluminum wires to make the cables and tubes on the engine. I found that copper wires of 0.4 mm and thicker are difficult to form in desired shape. Aluminum wires are softer, but it seems they are difficult to be glued with superglues. So I drilled holes on where the wire will be installed. The strappings are cut from 0.03 mm brass sheet. Jumo 213 manuals and pictures of existing engines are cross-referenced at this stage, I used Procreate to put them together in the same page for easy comparing them.

APC_0421.jpeg

APC_0426.jpeg

The engine radiator flap actuator rods and rings are missing. I made them with 0.2 mm brass rods. The white rollers in this picture are cut from 0.5 mm PVC rods.

APC_0429.jpeg

Please give me some more time to put my work into words. I will try to update it as quick as possible.

For the engine mount, I added some flanges and other details. I also filled the empty chamber of ammo box for the 30 mm canon. To make future work of adding tubes from fuselage to the engine easier, I cut the socket on port side and reinforced it with copper sheet in 0.05 mm.
IMG_3314.jpeg

The cockpit air compressor tubes were mold together as one part with the firewall in front of the instruments panel. They were removed and remade. The gap between fuselage and engine mount was filled with PVC sheet.
APC_0447.jpeg

APC_0448.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind replies!!

Leaving the engine aside for a while, I moved to cockpit. For this part, I concentrated on the seat. The model part is designed to be glued on floor directly. It was replaced by adjustable slide rails referred to drawings from FW 190D manuals.

APC_0467.jpeg

IMG_3779.heic

IMG_5411.heic

Considering the interior surface of flaps and main landing wheel well may be observed, I added braking lines, hydraulic tubes and electrical wirings in these areas. Missing details of ribs were made from PVC sheets and added into main wheel well. The molded on springs of main wheel well doors were replaced with copper wire. Flange and rivets details were also added on the door. At the same time, I modified the landing gear a little, the torque arms were from my unfinished Eduard FW 190D.

APC_0489.jpeg

APC_0492.jpeg

APC_0494.jpeg

APC_0466.jpeg

APC_0552.jpeg

APC_0485.jpeg

Thank you Vic!

Let's continue with wheels. The wheels are from Reskit. Some additional works were done to add adaptors for breaking line. One thing I have noticed is that this aftermarket part need some modification to be installed on 152. It was designed for FW 190/Ta 152. However the wheel on Ta 152 is different as it is dual-side breaking. You can identify it from the wheel hub showed in some historic pictures. Barracuda's part might be better in accuracy. They are the 740 mm diameter version which were installed on early H0 aircrafts. I believe H1 with Werk Nr. 150168 likely have 700 mm tires installed according to pictures taken at Farnborough. Besides this, I replaced the tail wheel with better detailed parts. Reskit didn't offer the drag yoke on mounting arm. So I make one from PVC sheet and 3D printed bolts.
IMG_0990.jpeg

APC_0543.jpeg

The supercharge intake is separate pate from engine cowling. The gap was filled with putty. Panel lines was redo referring to pictures of the only survivor in NASM. Different from 190D series' supercharger which are built separately and riveted on engine cowling, Ta 152's supercharger intake is manufactured from 4 aluminum sheets as a part of engine cowling.
APC_0505.jpeg

One key feature of 190 series is the windshield fuel flushing tubes. Arrangement of the tubes are somehow complicated. Thankful this can be figured out from pictures in Zoukei-mura's Concept Note.
IMG_5425.heic

Thank you all! I hope you enjoyed reading.

This kit has the gearbox and the accessories simplified. So I researched the manuals and added missing speed sensor, fuel filters and oil pump. Meanwhile, I made the electrical cables and sockets. There are still some details I'm not sure, the engine used to be displayed in Champlin Flight Museum is not there anymore, I went to Seattle and tried to find some evidences of where it goes. Unfortunately nothing found.

APC_0653.jpeg

APC_0630.jpeg

It looks the tube between the engine mount and engine has woven skin. Here is how I made the tubes connecting the engine mount and the engine. This process gave me sharp ends for the woven skin.

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back