What Annoyed You Today? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry to hear about the cat Marcel.
Karl, at least the tyre was probably only flat at the bottom !

And ............. back to the saga of the Customs charge !
Finally got a call from Border Force, and was again told they could not amend the charge, as Royal Mail told them, two months ago, to stop doing this.
So I asked to speak to the senior management person, who confirmed this info, and suggested that I could pay the fee, and then complain and claim a refund - stuff that for a game of soldiers, said I !!
So they gave me a 'phone number and e-mail address for the Complaints Department at the Home Office, who, I was told, would be able to forward authority, to Border Force, to amend the charge and instruct Royal Mail to release the parcel.
The 'phone number was not recognised when I tried to call, so I sent a polite, but obviously explicit e-mail to the address provided, explaining the whole sorry saga, and asking for confirmation of my request to amend the charge, within 24 hours.
I received an immediate, automatically - generated e-mail confirming receipt of my complaint, which went on to inform me that they aim to reply within 20 days - by which time, the bl**dy parcel will be heading back west, across the Atlantic, as Royal Mail return to sender after 21 days, and they've had the effing thing for 7 days already !!!
What the **** has happened to common sense, accepting responsibility and acting upon it in this World today ??!!!!!

Oh, and I almost forgot. I'm due a delivery of my normal medication tomorrow, sometime between 11.00 hrs and 16.00 hrs, but I have a hospital appointment in the morning. So I 'phoned the pharmacy, and asked them to schedule the delivery for tomorrow afternoon, when I know I'll be at home.
I was told they can't do that, as they only have one delivery driver this week, so I'll have to collect it from the pharmacy, over a mile away.
So it would appear that the time system of planet Earth is directly related to the number of available ****ing delivery drivers !!!

Last edited:
Not to worry, the current president has explained that this is most likely another case of unfortunate "workplace violence".

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
That's not what our media reported that he said. According to them he said that the motive was not determined yet. Sounds like a reasonable answer to me at this moment.

He's made several statements...the one I mentioned was actually said before even the law enforcement authorities had a full idea of what's going on.

He then made a statement later where he said "it was possible" that it was terror related.

To emphasize on the earlier statement, here is a recent news release by CNN on the San Bernardino attack:
San Bernardino: Shooter Farook appears radicalized - CNN.com

Despite the fact that the man and his wife had become radicalized, amassed a large store of ammunition and built a cache of pipe bombs, some "officials" are still tossing "workplace grievance" and "mixed motives" around. This attack had no more connection to a "workplace grievance" than the Paris attacks did.

I might also add that their semi-auto rifles, body armor, high-capacity magazines, pipe bombs and bomb making material are illegal to own or possess in the state of California and that they attacked a "gun free zone". Of course, killing people, shooting people, brandishing a weapon and shooting at police officers is also illegal - regardless of their motive.

Anything as planned as this attack is without question a terrorist action. Columbine, Sandy Hook, the movie theater massacre, the Murrow building in Oklahoma City, were all terrorist attacks in one form or another. Removing all of our fire arms is not the answer since only the terrorists will have weapons. I once considered the idea of psychological evaluations as an idea but came to the realization that those could be manipulated as a means to confiscate every fire arm in America.

Removing all of our fire arms is not the answer since only the terrorists will have weapons.
A typical American way of thinking, but having all kinds of John Waynes in a confined room when the terrorists enter will not make it any better. If you think that way, people should not only learn how to use the gun, but also train to have the proper reactions when getting into these situations. Something that is not so easy. I shudder when thinking of a couple of hundred panicked gun cariers... This is often overlooked when some-one tries to defend the 'weapons for all' lobby.

But I'll stop here, it's becoming too political....

A typical American way of thinking, but having all kinds of John Waynes in a confined room when the terrorists enter will not make it any better. If you think that way, people should not only learn how to use the gun, but also train to have the proper reactions when getting into these situations. Something that is not so easy. I shudder when thinking of a couple of hundred panicked gun cariers... This is often overlooked when some-one tries to defend the 'weapons for all' lobby.

But I'll stop here, it's becoming too political....
I think to be fair, and honest assestment of this is more of a social one, than a political one.

Europe has been ravaged over the centuries by continous warfare where North America has seen relative calm since the early 20th century onwards.

In this time, Europe has moved away from firearm possession as a cultural morm while the United States still holds to it's firearm heritage, which is based both in it's birth as a nation and in it's western history. The founding Fathers, such as Washington, Jefferson and others not only encouraged firearm ownership, but insisted that it be required of all youths be educated in their use.

And this was a mainstay of American life until recently, where groups like the Boy Scouts, NRA and the Civilian Marksmanship Program helped educated youth in proper and responsible handling of firearms. It was also a tradition for Dad to take the boys out to the range with a rifle on a Saturday afternoon. Getting a .22 rifle was like a rite of passage along with the handing down of the family firarms as the young man (or woman) got older.

But this era seemed to fade away by the 90's as society seemed to lose it's respect for one another and shootings, which had up to that time had remained mostly confined to "gangsters", criminals and sociopaths, became more frequent. Very few organizations continue to teach proper firearm handling or marksmanship and in many cases, came under litigation by "concerned" groups who are vehemantly opposed to firearms.

Globally, society seems to be losing it's respect for the sanctity of human life as we see more and more attacks on Chinese schools with hatchets, knives and meat cleavers. London and vicinity is particularly being plagued by violent attacks involving knives and even here in the U.S. (which normally doesn't reach mass media coverage) there have been mass attacks involving knives recently.

There are well over 80 million legally owned firearms in the U.S. at the moment and the vast majority are owned by responsible citizens. If we were to immediately remove every one of those tomorrow, there will still be shootings, stabbings, assaults with hammers and so on because society has grown to the point where there is no respect for their neighbor and the solution to frustration, anger and so on, is extreme violence.

We need to step back and take a close look at why society is coming apart at the seams and address that as soon as possible. Until we solve that problem, taking weapons away (be it firearms, knives or salad forks) is much like closing the barn doors after the horses get out.

Ditto GrauGeist, I have not visited this thread in months but couldn't help opening it up because this topic was on my mind. I'm 54 and have lived in central Texas all my life. All but one of those years was spent living " out of town " never been much for the city life although I work in one. Just like many other locations throughout the world most people that live in rural areas learn a preferred method of self defense. The most popular method is the use of firearms, many of us learned to maintain and safety operate small cal. firearms before we were teens. I realize it's apples and oranges comparing city/country, terrorist/non terrorist crime and rates. But one thing for sure, the crime rate is much lower because out in the sticks people are armed. I've had a hand gun in my vecihel since 1976 (different vecihel ��) and have killed a few rattle snakes, a wild dog that would not let me out of my car, and a cow on the side of the road that was suffering after being hit. I hope I never have to hide my gun to have one.

One question that keeps coming to mind in the San Bernardino shooting is this. What if everyone there had been armed and what is the likely hood that in the panic that they would have ended up shooting each other by mistake?

Typically, people that carry tend to be proficient with their marksmanship and it's been proven on several occasions.

A note about firearm education: at the school shooting in Oregon several years ago, where the boy stole his father's weapons, killed his parents and then went to school and started shooting his classmates, his rifle's magazine became empty and at that moment, a student hiding under a cafeteria table broke cover and tackled the shooter and stopped the attack. The reason he chose that moment to act, was because he had recently been through an NRA firearm safety course and recognized the shooter had to stop and reload. It was this knowledge that enabled him to stop the shooter and prevent more casualties.

I bought these on evilbay and the guy tells me the actual shipping charge is 10eu more. I only see 12eu. Am I missing something ? I believe I am in the right here. What say you guy's

Attachments

• zippo.jpg
    zippo.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 205
  • zippo2.jpg
    zippo2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back