**** DONE: GB-40 1:72 Junkers Ju88 A-4 - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep.. the first line with these colours is just the Revell numbers of paints. So the staubgrau matt 77 is Revell 77 that is said to be an equivalent of Humbrol 79 Matt Blue-grey. The colour can be used as the RLM 66 for cockpit interiors although the Humbrol 67 is suggested. But taking the scale effect into consideration the lighter Revell 77/ Hu 79 seem to be a good choice .

Revel77.jpg
Hu79.jpg
hu67.jpg

Yep.. the first line with these colours is just the Revell numbers of paints. So the staubgrau matt 77 is Revell 77 that is said to be an equivalent of Humbrol 79 Matt Blue-grey. The colour can be used as the RLM 66 for cockpit interiors although the Humbrol 67 is suggested. But taking the scale effect into consideration the lighter Revell7 7/ Hu 79 seem to be a good choice .

View attachment 517255View attachment 517256View attachment 517257
I ended up using the RLM 66 Testors Model Master enamel. The rule of thumb I have always followed is interior RLM 02 in the same way as it would be Zinc Chromate for American aircraft. late war the cockpits were painted RLM 66 but the rest of the interior areas still being RLM 02. Apparently though this was an RLM directive it could vary depending on what factory the plane was assembled in so it's not carved in stone. It's hard to trust colour pictures of the time because they seem so muddy looking. The pictures I did find of a recovered wreck look like the cockpit was definitely the darker RLM 66. So I've learned something new. The question is though, what about the rest of the interior, safe to assume it would still be RLM 02 ??

The reast of the internal fuselage structure I mean the stringers , bulkheads and such, was of a golden, greenish colour but it wasn't the RLM 02. The colour was similar to anodising. So it was rather the anticorrosive coating looking like the one in cans with fishes. The outer skin of the fuselage didn't have the protection at all.

It is the same doubt with which I find myself for the interiors of my He-111.
It is clear that the interior of the cockpit is RLM 66, but I have also seen in the information consulted, that the other interiors of the fuselage were also used the RLM 02.
A question that I anticipate :-k (apologizing for the interference here):
The landing gear and its bays, could they also be painted in any of those two colors? I have seen some photos that even seem to be used both (bay in 66 and the landing gear in 02, even in black), what do you think?

Saludos :thumbup:

IMHO the wheel bays and the engine nacelles were painted inside in the same way the fuselage was. I mean the golden-greenish one with some of grey ( possible RLM02) painted larger surfaces. The landing gear legs should be of the light grey RLM 77 colour rather.

Yep.. however for Ju-88 I would suggest reading the thread by our member Guttorm , posted at the Large Scale Plane forum .

Junkers 88 A1 detail photos
lots of great info there thanks. A few years back I was building a Ju 86 and some of the pictures I found it looked like the interior was a very pale looking translucent zinc chromate looking colour. I also had the chance to go inside a Henkel 111 and thought it was odd the inside was a dark grey like RLM 66. It was actually a Spanish built Casa made to look like a BOB 111. I heard it later crashed in Wyoming killing both pilots. so sad ! I'm going to fart around and see if I can replicate the effect on the wheel bays if not I guess it's back to RLM 02.

018.jpg

The Ju-86 as the bomber of the early time period could have had the interior of the colour you mentioned because instead of painting with the protective dope it could be electroplated . Later the technique was abandoned partially as a more expensive and time consuming one. So the painting was cheaper and quicker way. At the end of the war even that way was given up because of the shortage of colours etc...

Ghagam,
I give you a comment that here, in Spain, know the aviation technicians, the time and colors, as well as the casa (construcciones aeronauticas SA), I buy German licenses to build the messer BF 109 G6, heinkel 11h6 and licenses for the ju88, and almost everyone removing some exceptions, only the room was from the rlm66 since the "66" was more resistant to erosion, friction and easier to apply than the "02", which was used for the other parts of the airplane.

Ghagam,
I give you a comment that here, in Spain, know the aviation technicians, the time and colors, as well as the casa (construcciones aeronauticas SA), I buy German licenses to build the messer BF 109 G6, heinkel 11h6 and licenses for the ju88, and almost everyone removing some exceptions, only the room was from the rlm66 since the "66" was more resistant to erosion, friction and easier to apply than the "02", which was used for the other parts of the airplane.

Gracias por la buena información. Esto es lo que pensé. ¡Tu trabajo suena muy interesante!

War Dept: I'm going to bed can you turn off your air compressor.........what are you doing anyways ? Me: Trying to make a colour that looks like the inside of an empty tin can. You know that look you get like your the stupidest life form on the planet ? The left is silver tinted with insignia yellow. The right is silver tinted with Italian Dark Brown. I think I'm sticking with RLM 02 ??

paintr.jpg

I know the colour Wojtek is talking about and your version of it is pretty good in my opinion. I'm just not sure of what was the right colour where without really digging into it, though I'm pretty sure the pit would have been 66. The link provided for the Norwegian restoration is a good start.

I know the colour Wojtek is talking about and your version of it is pretty good in my opinion. I'm just not sure of what was the right colour where without really digging into it, though I'm pretty sure the pit would have been 66. The link provided for the Norwegian restoration is a good start.

The yellow seems to be very close to what I saw in the interior of the JU-86 it's also what I would call cadmium yellow, same colour as cad plated car parts. Maybe that's how they treated bare aluminum from the factory ? At any rate I'm going with RLM 66 for the cockpit and RLM 02 for the wheel bays and flap openings.

The yellow seems to be very close to what I saw in the interior of the JU-86 it's also what I would call cadmium yellow, same colour as cad plated car parts. Maybe that's how they treated bare aluminum from the factory ? At any rate I'm going with RLM 66 for the cockpit and RLM 02 for the wheel bays and flap openings.
Totally agree with this. :thumbup:

I agree, that colour looks close.
From what I understand, areas visible from outside - cockpits mainly - were in RLM 66, with other crew areas in RLM 02. Those 'unoccupied' areas, such as the rear fuselage, were in the 'gold' tinted finish.
The RAF Museum JU88 has RLM 02 wheel bays, although the gear legs are a 'silver' colour, possibly done during partial restoration, and therefore not original. The bomb bay and inside of the doors is RLM 66, believed to be the original finish.

War Dept: I'm going to bed can you turn off your air compressor.........what are you doing anyways ? Me: Trying to make a colour that looks like the inside of an empty tin can. You know that look you get like your the stupidest life form on the planet ?

Not only do we have the same model collections Graham, but our wives seem to be twins aswell.... :)

I just get roasted routinely on how much my hobby costs........to which my stock reply is something like "at least I don't spend my dosh on loose horses and slow women!' or something to that effect......

I just get roasted routinely on how much my hobby costs........to which my stock reply is something like "at least I don't spend my dosh on loose horses and slow women!' or something to that effect......
I blew half my money on booze gambling and fast women, the other half I wasted. Don't know who said it but it's brilliant !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back