**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again guys. The following is for L LownSlow in response to his post looking for where the generator mounts on the Cheetah engine.

Scott, here is a pic of the back of our Cheetah IX in Nanton:

24021703.jpg

The opening near the bottom of the pic is the uncovered end of the engine drive shaft and has the magnetos installed off the side. The closed cover over top of that (arrowed below) accesses the auxiliary drive for, amongst other things, the generator.

24021704.jpg

Here's an excerpt from the manual. The circled unit is the one arrowed at the top and the dog-eared bit on the photocopy for #123 points to the generator drive shaft.

24021702.jpg

The unit can be seen on more detail here and I've pointed to the reference to the generator shaft (13) and drive spline (14).

24021701.jpg

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks again friends. I wasn't 100% happy with the shape of the yellow rectangles on the wing uppers so I remasked and painted the affected areas. The backs of the yellow patches were moved forward about 5mm and the outboard edges were extended outwards another 10mm or so. It was tricky matching the yellow but lots of coats and blending did the trick. I also masked and painted the red ID marks on the nacelles, a feature missed on the available profiles.

24021804.jpg

Next will be a clear coat, decals, and some weathering. Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks once again. Before spraying the gloss coat, I wanted to get the model standing on its undercarriage and here I was once again reminded of the kit's shortcomings.

The shot below shows the undercarriage legs along with one of the painted and now-scratched-up wheels. The two pins on the struts at right are too short to insert into the holes in the wheel hubs so I decided that I needed to make my own axles using brass tube. The struts on the left have had the pins cut back for this purpose and the hole in the wheel hub has been enlarged to receive the tube. I have already flattened the tires, something I always do now unless the kit provides them that way.

24021901.jpg

Here are the brass tubes in the process of being cut. The larger tube fits into the wheel hub and the smaller one will be drilled through the legs.

24021902.jpg

Legs drilled and wheel ready to be installed. More paint scratching to come.

24021903.jpg

Of course it was difficult to align the drilled holes exactly so when I tried to install the wheel and axle, part of the pin broke away:

24021904.jpg

After plenty of struggles and some strategically placed CA glue, the wheels and struts are now together.

24021905.jpg

At this point I set all this aside to cure overnight as installing the undercarriage should prove to be another adventure.

In other news, the wheel wells were masked and retouched in cockpit grey-green and the oil coolers were shot with metallic grey.

24021906.jpg

If you look closely at the wheel well in the above pic, there is a slightly recessed ledge with one of the two locating blocks for the u/c struts just visible. Classic Airframes would have us simply butt-glue the ends of the struts to this ledge between the locating blocks - no slots or holes to add strength. Ummmmmm....no. More fun to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back