**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Karl and, yes, it does help once all glued together but without any sort of locating pins it is all pretty fiddley and potentially a fling-the-f!cking-thing-at-the-wall exercise for anyone who lacks patience. Fortunately, I do have plenty of that.

Anyway I managed to get everything in place and walked away to regather my sanity. The work started by drill and gluing brass pins into the ends of the struts:

24022001.jpg

Unfortunately for those of you who relish some schadenfreude, I didn't stop to take pics of the remaining steps as there was too much fussing around but, as you might expect, corresponding holes were drilled into the wing bulkhead and then the ends of the struts were inserted into those holes with some CA gel glue, which allows for a bit of time to make adjustments before it sets up. This is necessary because neither the struts nor the bulkhead are set accurately to allow the u/c to hang straight up and down so there is a need to slide one of the pins in or out so get the right vertical alignment. And while all that is going on, the brace behind the struts had to be positioned, also with CA gel glue applied, to bring the u/c into alignment with the proper forward rake. Eventually all worked out fairly well, though things could have been MUCH worse. Here's a close-up of the detail at the top of the struts which are now in place with copious amounts of CA to secure them.

24022002.jpg

A view from the side showing the rear brace installed.

24022003.jpg

And here she is standing up, rock solid. The wheels were rotated to bring the flat spots into place and then some TET was applied to fix them there. Touch ups are needed.

24022004.jpg

Here's a view from the front showing the slight dihedral and the vertical (more or less) struts. If one relied solely on placement of the kit parts as is there would be a strong likelihood of the undercarriage splaying outward.

24022005.jpg

The wheel installation was the last thing worrying me and it's now on to gloss coating, decals (oh yeah, these might disintegrate yet - one more worry), weathering, and addition of pointy things.

Thanks for following along guys.

Really starting to look like an Anson now :thumbright:.
Hope this clears things up for you.
Thanks for all that info Andy. What it made clear was: the Cheetah IX had more than one auxiliary drive package :p . I'll have a closer look on Thursday when I'm in at the museum, but I know ours doesn't have that top plate cover on the auxiliary drive assembly for a generator drive, as is visible on yours and shown in the diagram. Ours does have the vacuum pump in the diagram location shown so that gives me some idea of where I might start looking for possible PTO sources.
cheers
Scott

Thanks again everyone. To my relief, the old decals behaved flawlessly. I started on the bottom as I usually do - if something is going to mess up then I'd rather have it happen there. The decals are reasonably thin but, despite that, were able to take lots of punishment from Solvaset.

24022101.jpg

The fin flash was shaped rather odd and requires trimming. I also trimmed the lower edge with a sharp scalpel to follow the contour of the yellow.

24022102.jpg

Below is the model as she looks at present. I'll let the decals on this side of the fuselage dry over night and will tackle the other side tomorrow.

24022103.jpg

Classic Airframes didn't provide any stencil decals but I know of a few that were there based on reference pics. I'll do a little more digging on this and will hunt through my stash where, no doubt, I'll have lots of spares.

Again, thanks for the comments and for following this build.

Thanks very much everyone.

I checked on the need for stencils and decided to not add any. All of the ones that I am aware of would have been covered by the yellow patches and I'm thinking that there was no effort to reapply them in Canada so I'll leave them off. That means the last decals were those on the starboard fuselage and that's what I did this morning.

True to form, the penultimate decal (the roundel) tore on me but the break was clean.

24022202.jpg

The fix was simple and things worked out well with the red center addition. There is a bit of the tear still visible here but this pic was taken with Solvaset having just been applied and I expect things will fuse together well.

24022201.jpg

Next up will be some washes. Thanks again for following along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back