1:1 scale hurricane build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks. I currently have them listed on ebay at £75. Had some interest but no sales as yet. Not really sure if that's too expensive or not? That includes the spade grip and brake lever unpainted. I'm struggling to make the gun button at present but I'm working on it

Not sure if that is a tad pricey or not.
A few years back, there was a limited run of a really superb grip, in kit form, that was advertised at 72 Euros, around £65 at today's rate, Some pics below show the kit, and the finished and painted grip.
Maybe when you've finished the whole thing, your price would be fine, even in kit form if required.
Whatever,I'll still be interested once you get it sorted. Note, however, that selling / advertising on the forum is not allowed, although contact via PM is fine.

Spit grip 1.jpg
Spit grip 2.jpg

Yes that's fine. That's from a guy in Italy. I enquired about a resin gunsight he used to make but no longer makes them. Very good quality. Ok I wont advertise anything on here. Thanks for the heads up

No problem, but by all means notify when available.
Yes, one of our members in Italy ( Al49) posted the grip details at the time, back in 2013 I think . By the time I got around to looking at it, he'd stopped producing.
Fabricating a MkII gunsight should be fairly straightforward, especially with the advantage of a 3D printer, and there are a couple of forum members who may be able to help with dimensions, details etc, these being "Rocketeer" ( Tony) in the UK, and "Tony Hill" (Daryll) in Oz.
Tony has a vast collection of aircraft parts, full cockpits, fittings etc, and Daryll has built, and is currently modifying, a fully functional Spitfire cockpit simulator.

Yes I have previously spoken to them both when I was building my last hurricane. I'm planning on getting the instrument panel filled then starting the surrounding parts I.e gunsight seat etc...

Turn and slip bezel, altimeter bezel, oil gauge, boost bezel and magentos printed

Attachments

• 20200708_210547.jpg
    20200708_210547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200708_210503.jpg
    20200708_210503.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200708_210514.jpg
    20200708_210514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200708_210527.jpg
    20200708_210527.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20200708_210534.jpg
    20200708_210534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Hi all. A few years ago I started to build a 1:1 scale hurricane. I posted alot of info on here but a couple of years ago I had to sell it as I lost storage. It went to lytham st Anne's and the cockpit was used in the 'hurricane' movie. It since then got sold to someone in Blackpool. Anyway I am looking at building another. I have ordered plans and will be starting work shortly. I'm after a replica spade grip and gunsight. Does anyone know of any for sale? I will be posting up pictures as I go of the build. Thanks all
When the Canadian Warplane Hertitage Museum burned down in the 1990s they lost their Hawker Hurricane. The restoration team then scratch built a 1:1 scale Replica, shown below. I believe it's all fiberglass - IDK if the Merlin engine was saved.

IIRC from my last visit, the aircraft is better seen from a distance, the magic is lost upon close inspection.

33597_1112151544.jpg

Thankfully a proper Hurricane is being assembled from pieces in Calgary, Canada.

Rare WWII Hawker Hurricane plane restoration almost complete

Last edited:
When the Canadian Warplane Hertitage Museum burned down in the 1990s they lost their Hawker Hurricane. The restoration team then scratch built a 1:1 scale Replica, shown below. I believe it's all fiberglass - IDK if the Merlin engine was saved.

IIRC from my last visit, the aircraft is better seen from a distance, the magic is lost upon close inspection.

View attachment 587472

Thankfully a proper Hurricane is being assembled from pieces in Calgary, Canada.

Rare WWII Hawker Hurricane plane restoration almost complete
Yes no substitute for the real thing but better than nothing I guess

So far.... I have printed the wrong oil gauges though. Those are spit or late hurricane ones so no good

Attachments

• 20200712_165419.jpg
    20200712_165419.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Still looking good though.
What's the actual material used to form the parts from the 3D printer - I notuce the larger parts have a surface texture, can this be sanded smooth ?

Still looking good though.
What's the actual material used to form the parts from the 3D printer - I notuce the larger parts have a surface texture, can this be sanded smooth ?

Thanks. They are made from pla plastic. Yes they can be very easily sanded smooth. I will leave that until I have made everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back