1/32 dioramas?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chook

Airman 1st Class
Mar 24, 2008
Sydney
Does anyone know of any 1/32 scale diorama kits? There are heaps in 1/48 but I have not found any in the bigger scale. I'm doing 1/32 RAAF Spit MkVIII and would love to do a dio. Also any photos of shark mouth spits operating from Morotai Island in Dutch East Indies in '45. If I spend up big around this time of the year I can blame the fat guy in red!

A diorama isn't an ordinary thing you can buy in each hobby shop or supermarkets. These are scratch-built mostly. Of course a few components like figures models , trees bushes etc...you can buy there. But the entire diorama is an effect of modeller's imagination, ideas. In fact, the 1/32 scale became very popular this year. Well, no wonder it isn't easy to find a such set.

So tools in hands and go achead....

Thanks wurg but I was being general. I expect to do a lot of scratch building but would like a fuel truck or something to fill it out. They basically parked them outside so with a good photo or 2 I could come up with something. Converting say british ground crew would be hard too cause I have seen no photos of aussies ever wearing a shirt. I wanna do a big dio one day but this may not be it.

There might be aproblem with finding models of any trucks of 1/32 scale.The basic one for vehicles is 1/35 scale. So it seems that you can be forced to make these yourself too. Unless the difference between these two scales doesn't mind you at all.

Check also on this...maybe you can find something there....

1/32 Scale Toy Soldier Diorama Miniatures

Last edited:
thanks for the link. some good stuff there. yes the difference in scale would bother me

It's a problem with most vehicles for 1/32nd scale WW2 dioramas, except the Jeep and the Kubelwagen, and maybe the U.S 2.5 ton truck,which can be found as die-cast models. (Good examples are available from Forces of Valour). Unless you get the latter truck, and make a 'bowser' back, I doubt you'll find a good fuel truck, especially a 'British / Commonwealth' type.
Figures can be obtained from various sources, but most I've seen are relatively expensive, and not that good. I normally use the old 'Airfix' Multi-Pose 1/32nd scale figure kits (6 figs per box, normally around £5), not bothering about 'nationality', as they'll be converted. For your purposes, I'd probably use either the '8th Army' or 'Afrika Korps' figures and, if necessary, re-shape the torso to simulate the lack of shirts, although I have seen pics of Aussies wearing a singlet or T shirt !
Other items such as fuel drums are available in 1/35th scale of course, but unless they are placed at a distance form the aircraft or figures, the scale difference is still noticeable. But they can easily be made from suitable diameter wooden dowel, with the grain sealed, and stretched sprue, wire, or similar, wrapped around to simulate the 'rings' and end flanges.

Thanks Terry and Wurg but I think my insistence on scale continuity may mean not this time. I have heaps of old 1/35 machine guns and ammo etc kits so maybe after the spit I'll do something. With my limited spare time I'd like to keep the scratch building to a minimum atleast till my girls are old enough to realise how crap I am and spend more time with their mother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back