1/48 Academy F-4C/D Phantom II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So now to get the aft lower section of the Phantom done I need to get the main gear well built and the main gear in place.

And then spit a bit of Tamiya X-1 (Gloss White) on in places.

Well been trudging along, I ordered a set of seat belts for the Mk7 seats. One of the "bad" things of the Academy kit is it gives you slotted or unslotted horizontal stabs. But it does not give you re enforced stabs. The USAF F-4's had the stabs re enforced around 1968 due to fatigue in the joint between the stainless steel upper and the lower section, if I recall between engine heat and harmonic vibrations there was fatigue setting in. If memory serves me the Navy/Marine Corp did not do this TCTO to their aircraft.

I looked a stealing a set form the Hasegawa or Monovell kits and may still do so or try modifying the ones I have. depends on when the era will be.

Attachments

• 20180703_123758.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 48
After much deliberation with me, myself, and I, I have decided on the aircraft tail number and era. On 23 April 1967 with Maj. R D Anderson at the flight controls and Capt. F D Kjer on the radar, Aircraft F-4C-23-MC 64-0776 downed a MiG 21 with an AIM 7E Sparrow missile. Then on 22 May of 1967, Lt Col R F Titus pilot, and Lt M Zimmer EWO, downed two more MiG 21's, the first via an AIM 9B and the second with a 20mm SUU 16 gun pod. This was the second and third for Titus and Zimmer, their first kill a MIG 21 also, was in F-4C 64-0777!. As the years progressed 776 was to fly with several other wings and finally to the ANG. Final home was the 142 FW/123 FIS Oregon ANG. August of 1984 in overall ADC grey with the Red Hawk on her tail she flew William Tell with the name of "Miss Piggy" Redhawks Hit the Mark at William Tell 1984 > 142nd Fighter Wing > Display
I will be using Repli-Scale decal set 5028"F-4 Phantoms-Hawaii, Texas & Oregon National Guards"
Photo courtesy USAF.

Very interesting review Don in your post # 24.
Question: to apply the paint, do you use any % of thinner to dilute?
I like to watch your sequence to start learning about these 60's aircraft.

Saludos y buen avance!

Question: to apply the paint, do you use any % of thinner to dilute?
I like to watch your sequence to start learning about these 60's aircraft.
Thanks for the question, It depends on the paint I am using. The white is Tamiya X-1, it is very thick and I use water or Isopropyl Alcohol to dilute it with. If I am using, such as the metal area, I use Testors Model Master "Metalizer" paints and they are designed for air brush at low psi. Vallejo "Model Air" I usually don't dilute but "Model Color" always. Testors Enamel, most of the time with Testor thinner.

One major thing I love about the Academy F-4 is that the fuselage is a upper lower mate not the right left halves that Monogram and Hasegawa have. Don't get me wrong. they are both great kits of a really cool workhorse, but the right left halves leave a spine line that has to be cleaned up filled and sanded and a lot of important detail is lost or has to be scribed in to a raised panel kit (both are raised panel lines, later release of some Hasegawa are recessed but most you will find are raised). With the Academy there are some tricky spots done for their ease of making the most out of modes. This includes the lower forward fuselage being mated to the aft lower. The upper fuselage is one piece and the exhaust area is a two/three piece area, this is nice as this is the bare metal section and it can be painted with little masking. The intakes are always a rough fit no matter which kit I've ever done in any scale. 48, 72, 32 or 144. There is always a bit of a fuss to align the intakes. the intakes on this kit are a three piece setup. Inner and outer splinter plate and the intake housing, well I guess you could add the inner and outer intake tunnel and the J79 engine intake as well.

Anyway, Behold the Phantom!

I was born in Cottage Grove Oregon just before midnight on the 19th of December 1958. I lived in Oregon most of my youth until I joined the US Air Force and left on July 12 1977 and so I have a certain affiliation with the Oregon ANG. The 142 ADW (Air Defence Wing) has flown from Portland International air port all my life and I have followed them most of it. First flying from there in the F-89J Scorpion.

with a follow on to the F-102A/TF-102A fighter.

and my rendition of the OreANG F-102A. My own markings, to include the lightning bolt taken from a Pine car derby set of rub ons and colored gold.

Than on to the F-101B which they flew when I joined the USAF. I loved to watch the 101's take off in pairs.

And my rendition of above aircraft from Monograms 1/48 F-101B and my one make shift of decals.

this was followed by the replacement of the 101 with another McDonnell Douglas steed, the F-4C/D.

and then another MicyD's the awesome F-15C/D!

Taco, my dog, shows the utmost interest in my work!

You can tell a Cairn Terrier but you can't tell him much!
Getting down to brass tack, upper fuselage is on and intakes are on and clean up work. little putty but not much.

Taco, my dog, shows the utmost interest in my work!
View attachment 500733
You can tell a Cairn Terrier but you can't tell him much!
I loved the name of your dog, "taco" ... and they came to my mind about 4 or 5 "taquitos" accompanied with a spicy sauce, a little guacamole, accompanied with a cold beer; while I am watching your bird come true.

Saludos para Taco

Users who are viewing this thread