1/48 Academy F-4C/D Phantom II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am on hold pending ebay orders. I think I am going to do the same aircraft but in SEA (South East Asia) scheme due to the fact that the plane as depicted by Academy is a pre 1968/1969 configuration. I have markings for her after the 2ed and third kill while at Da Nang AB in 1967, I also have marking for 1976, 84 and 89. The markings I'll work with is Furball Aero-Design "Gunfighter Phantoms Part Two".

img025.jpg
img026.jpg

This predates the reinforced stab issue and as I could modify the stab, I have several Hasegawa and Monogram kits that are already modified and would have to "De modify them to get them correct for the 1967 markings. Below are photos of the patch on a couple of RF-4C's I took while stationed a Kadena AB. and then the kit stabs. Which by the way is the wrong set as it is slotted and not used on the F-4C/D. I know it's a lot of fuss over the stabs but it is what it is.

stab 2.jpg
stab3.jpg
stab4.jpg

OK so I've been working but not updating. I've had some issues with paint, Testors some years ago went and changed the labels so that they would rub off the name of the paint. I've complained to them several times but who gives a s*$t about the customer, as they have proved again by deleting their military enamels! So anyway I had a hard time distinguishing between Dark Green and Medium Green and as it turned out, I had two bottles of Dark Green. spent my life savings on Testors Acrylic SEA colors and had to refix the situation. This will come back a bite me later as acrylics don't do well on top of enamels.
As mentioned afore, I do like this kit a lot, but, they did some really messed up research, or just threw in items used by Phantoms. The kit is of an early F-4C, as noted before by the lack of reinforcing tabs on the stabs. The kit instructions call for the slotted stabs and not the hard stabs. Slotted stabs are used on the F-4E/J/S versions and not on the B/C/D/N versions. The kit supplies an SUU-23 gun pod. The F-4C used the SUU-16 for a gun pod which is a overall thicker pod then the SUU-23 and is powered by a RAT (Ram Air Turbine) which limits the aircraft to 350 kts when employing the gun, (in theory anyway), and the ECM pod in the kit is an ALQ-101, not used till the late 70's. The Vietnam era aircraft would have normally used an ALQ-87 jamming pod. Fournatully, I have several Revell/Monogram F-4C/D's. they have the SUU-16 and the earlier ALQ-87 pod so. There for I am liberally stealing from that kit for this kit. As the aircraft depicted is 776, which belonged to the 366th TFW "Gunfighters" I want to add the gun pod which Col Frederick "Boots" Blesse fought for when he was the DO (Deputy Commander for Operations) while assigned to the 366th. LtCol Robert Titus, leading "Wander" flight on May 22 1967, as Wander 01, got his second and third kills. He used an AIM-9B sidewinder for one kill and an SUU-16/A gun pod for the second. So I need to use the Monogram supplied gun pod and the ALQ-87 ECM pod for the dress out of the Phantom. 3 AIM-7E Sparrow missiles, 4 AIM-9B missiles, one ALQ-87 (in the fourth Sparrow missile well) and the gun pod as well as the two wing tanks.
Here is the present view of the F-4C having a gloss coat. One thing I really like about the kit is that the aft section of the kit (all metal) is separated. It cuts down on the masking needed and I am waiting to the end to mount it and the raedome on the kit.

thumbnail (57).jpg
thumbnail (58).jpg

You can tell the differences in the gun pods by the vent on the upper nose of the SUU-23/A
thumbnail (62).jpg

and the ALQ-87 from Monovelle!
thumbnail (61).jpg

Ironically, the F-4D, which is what the Monovelle kit depicts with out modification, Used the SUU-23/A gun pod and Hasegawa doesn't supply a gun pod in any of their kits but only a 23 in the Aircraft Weapons set C. So the only place I have found to get the correct 16 for the F-4C is from Monogram.

Very interesting description and information about the versions of the F-4 and the SUU.
I am a passionate novice of the stories made by connoisseurs, eyewitnesses or relatives who were there. :pilotsalute:
For me, It is to learn and admired about that.

It seems that these setbacks ll´be resolved.
Greetings. :thumbup:

Thank you all for the comments. I picked up the Eduard F-4 seatbelt set but I HATE dealing with the PE. Especially as intricate as this is. Furball has a set of F-4 cockpit decals which include the seatbelts. They are for the Navy jets but the seatbelts are the seatbelts, (as far as that goes, the front office is not noticeably different either). so here are the early results.

thumbnail (66).jpg
thumbnail (69).jpg
thumbnail (65).jpg
thumbnail (67).jpg
thumbnail (70).jpg

Thanks all, Thanks Brian. Love the Phantom in all forms.

Update. Got the seats in and nose gear on. added the first sets of markings.

Broke my foot in two places. :-0
thumbnail (74).jpg
thumbnail (71).jpg
thumbnail (72).jpg
thumbnail (73).jpg
thumbnail (76).jpg

Looking good Don - but not your foot !
I also broke a foot in two places - Germany and Scotland !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back