1/48 Grumman J2F Duck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice detail! Seeing the interior really puts into perspective just how big this aircraft was for a single engine biplane.

Work continues on the J2F Duck. The fuselage is now together and the many gaps have been filled. I used clear acetate for the side windows as the kit windows were thicker that the fuselage plastic and obstructed the view inside. I added the duct just under the nose that was in the reference photos. The engine was completed and working on getting the wings assembled and cleaned up. All the build photos can be seen at:

1/48 J2F Duck

dsc04210.jpg

dsc04219.jpg

dsc04220.jpg

The fuselage and wings now have their base coat paint on and the rigging of the wings is done. Still have decals, detail painting, and weathering. I also bought the Squadron Vacu-Form canopy as the kit canopy is very thick and it appears the mold was not clean. Looks like some dirt got into the plastic.

More photos in the build log 1/48 J2F Duck

dsc04229.jpg

dsc04236.jpg

It is now completed!
This is the Glenco 1/48 scale J2F-2 Grumman Duck representing VMF-2 that patrolled the Caribbean Ocean off the Virgin Islands. The Duck's were used for patrolling areas and performing search and rescue of downed pilots. More photos can be seen in the Gallery page on my blog: 1/48 J2F-2 Grumman Duck

dsc04238.jpg

dsc04240.jpg

dsc04250.jpg

Excellent build! Back in the mid-1990s I did that kit too, but in 1942 colors. I was bored, so I dug an unbuilt kit out and started it, planning on a yellow wing 1940 version. My internet rsearch shows someissues - first (as on the older build) I had to file the lead profile of the vertical stabilizer. , then I realized that on Ducks, the vertial and horizontle stabilizers were metal skinned! I am sanding down the ridges. Also, Ducks interiors, at least until 1942 or so, were pained aluminum, as was the exterior metalwork. The Ducks served during transition times and things can get confusing.

Attachments

• Glencoe - Pyro Grumman J2F Duck.4 - Copy.JPG
    Glencoe - Pyro Grumman J2F Duck.4 - Copy.JPG
    918.2 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back