1/48 Martlet Kit selection help please.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Well it's pay day today so time invest in a kit for the next group build.

I've decided to go with a 1/48 RAF Martlet (to match my relic) Specifically this one -

7DBED9A7-86D8-4D48-8CE9-94BE71949120-27177-00001C8134762E12_zps36ac71a1.jpg

So.... Suggestions on kit. I'm currently loving Tamiya after the ease of the P-47 build.
Can you tell me anymore info on FN142? What Mk etc?
Also a list of colours to paint would be massively helpful. All in Tamiya if possible.

All help appreciated as always.

Cheers Chris

As always Geo, thanks and you are a research legend.

Does the Mk IV Martlet translate to a MK IV wildcat? Edit: I read the attached link. Mk IV it is for both (wildcat F4F-4b if I'm correct)
Or did the RAF request or make noticeable changes to the exterior?

Can't wait to make a carrier diorama base for this one.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Glenn - that's exactly what I want to hear. Will be a Tamiya purchase for sure.

Geo - email address en route. Bombard away. All is welcome.

The Martlet Mk.IV is the equivalent for F4F-4B used by the US Navy but powered by the Wright GR-1820-G-205A-3 ( R-1820-40B ) Cyclone with the Hamilton Standard prop.
The difference between the FAA variant and the US Navy type was the engine cowling that was shorter and more oval because of the mantioned engine.
The cowling had one cooling flap there. The armament - 6x12,7mm M2 MGs fixed in wings.There were 220 planes of the variant assembled with serial numbers FN100-319, so your FN142 is the Mk.IV. The FN142 seems to be the 893th FAA Sqn kite. First Martlets of Mk.IV were delivered to the Great Britain in the September of 1942. Three planes were lost during shipping to the England. Their numbers FN240-241.

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtec.

I may be wrong but. In the photograph would you say that there are two cowl/cooling flaps open on this particular bird?
Would that indicate that at the time of the photograph it was F4F-4b spec?
Other than that and given i would like to build it from a Tamiya kit, is there a conversion kit or will be a scratch build jobbie?

Cheers Chris

Hum I'm not sure modding the shape of cowl is within my capability.
The cooling flap mod would be easy but it's relying on the cowl having enough material in it to reshape.
Also I see that the exhaust is different but that shouldn't be too hard.

So one choice remains - mod a Tamiya F4F ot take the plunge and buy another manufactures Martlet IV.
Suggestions?

Cheers Chris

Chris

just to confirm the Tamiya kit is great but it is the same as the upper drawing in Wojtek's post (i used it for my entry into the carrier group build)

the hobby boss kits look ok and they do a few different versions as well !

Regarding the time the pic was taken on the variant of the Martlet ... I found a very similar image of a taking off Martlet IV FN114. The caption says it was a taking off for the Allied invasion of southern France on 15 August 1944 named Dragoon or Anvil initially. Both pictures seem to be taken on the same day. Judging by these pics the taking off Martlets aren't MK.V and Mk.VI for sure. It could be the Martlet Mk.III but in the case there would be seen the air intake at the front top of the engine cowling. But it isn't noticed there in both images. So Mk.III rather no too. It might be Mk.II that had a similar engine cowling ( a little bit longer with a longer cooling flap on each side. ). But these serials contradict that variant of the Martlet. So we can say these are Mk.IV.

Thanks Rochie, I'll have a scour of the famous auction site and see what suits best.

Also, thanks Wojtec. I'll ask my source what else he know about the photograph.

Cheers Chris

There is a profile of the FN114 in the Warpaint publication with a caption that it shows the appearance of the Martlet in early 1943 at MTO. And the date may be the most possible one.
I found the pic via the net. The caption says Martlet the 888th FAA squadron, HMS Formidable in the Mediterranean.

I just know I'm going to get it for posting these, but this is what the cowling looks like.

Attachments

• Duxford show Sept 13 1243.jpg
    Duxford show Sept 13 1243.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Duxford show Sept 13 1244.jpg
    Duxford show Sept 13 1244.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 287
Not exactly Terry ... this is the Martlet Mk.VI or in other words GM FM-2 Wildcat. Its engine cowling was the longer one , also the fin and rudder were enlarged.

Here is the clue what has to be done in order to convert the Tamiya F4F into the Martlet Mk.IV.
The entire review here.... Tamiya 1/48 Martlet

"The main change from what is provided in the kit is to change the cowling, which is shorter in chord on the Martlet IV than on the F4F-4 and replace the engine. I used a Cyclone from an old Monogram T-6 for my replacement engine in this model.

The modify the cowling, the modeler needs to put off the rear portion of the cowling, at the leading edge of the cooling flaps. With the fuselage assembled, one need only glue this ring into its position on the nose, then putty over all the flap engraving and sand smooth. Then sand off the upper lip intake on the cowling, and cut out the two cooling flaps in the upper rear of the cowling.

Additionally, the Martlet IV uses a different prop from that supplied in the kit. I used a prop from an old Monogram Dauntless that was in the spares box, as it was the right size.

Once these modifications have been made, you now have a Martlet IV ready for painting."

Last edited:
Still the Martlet Mk,VI cowling... but it should look like the one below ..

faawildcatsba_5.jpg

Martlet (Wildcat) IV FNx80 ( FN180 ) at NAS Anacostia. The Mk.IV has a short chord Cyclone cowl with one flap per side, Hamilton Standard Hydromatic prop, six gun folding wings and a F4F-4 pitot. Note what appears to be a ring sight on top of the front fuselage decking. This is the last mark of Wildcat built by Grumman for the FAA. The aircraft appears to be finished in Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky. Official US Navy Photograph.

Thanks Wojtec and nice pictures Terry.

Found some more info - Well this aircraft crashed on 19/12/1943 and was being flown from Yeovilton.
Also the crash report states that at the time of crash it was flown by 759 squadron.
Also the report confirms its a Mk IV

Will keep digging and will try and upload crash report. Cause of crash was attributed to airframe failure during an uncontrolled high speed dive.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Rochie - tell me about it. Still Martlet relics are rare as rocking horse poop so didn't have a choice about the MK lol
Thanks also for the picture.

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back