1/48 Martlet Kit selection help please. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep you might use that. But I'm not sure if it is of the correct dimension. Also you may make it of a thin aluminium, copper or just plastic plate.

I'm thinking folded is the way forward.
Only because I am stronger at detailing and weathering the underside. That way I get can some more detail on display without having to pick the model up and look underneath at the bit I am most happy with.

In the run up to the GB hopefully going to crack on with my Wellingtom build and also get a carrier base knocked up for the Martlet.

Wojtec - in your infinite store of knowledge. Do you have info or pictures of an RN carrier deck?

Cheers Chris

A model with folded wings always looks nice. But there is some of additional work on showing a couple details of the folding mechanism usually. F4F-4 ( Martlet ) isn't of a beautiful appearance and it may be a way to make the shape more interesting. Personally I wouldn't make wings folded. The FAA camo scheme and markings are intersting themselves and this makes the kite looking nice.

As far as a/c carrier decks are concerned... IIRC decks were covered with the teakwood planks. I'll check on pictures.

British carriers had armoured steel decks, a greyish green in colour. Here's the base I made for my FAA Avenger.

Attachments

• PTO Build 472.jpg
    PTO Build 472.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 81
Nice one Terry. That should be fairly straight forward.
I might add some structures to the base just to add some more detail.

I have a picture of this Martlet coming up on the lift somewhere and that could be a good subject if I can find te picture.

Wojtec - to late. I've ordered the folding wing kit. Which could work well if I go for the above diorama plan.

Let's see.

Cheers Chris

British carriers had armoured steel decks, a greyish green in colour. Here's the base I made for my FAA Avenger.

Yes, Sorry Chris... the flight deck was armoured. Terry is right. However the flight deck could be painted with the camo scheme like the HMS Formidable one...

hms_formidable_19421.png

26_albacore.jpg

28_fulmar.jpg

24_albacore.jpg

31_martlet.jpg

35_martlet.jpg

or the one of the HMS Implacable..

HMS Implacable.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have found some conclusive evidence of this Martlet being on a carrier in the Mediterranean.

Photo credit - ww2today.com

A6B536F8-AB02-4FFC-98DB-DF1BE6AB8AD5-807-000000CBDE119235_zpsb7959e8a.jpg

Looks like HMs formidable is the base that I need to model.

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back