1:48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.1. Tandem Build - Two kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stunning work Gerry. Myself, I would have been so disappointed with the SMER offering after seeing the smaller, more detailed Airfix offering that I probably would never have tackled it. The comparative thicknesses of the vertical stabs are very telling!

Thanks again to all for your positive reactions and commendations. Here's the most recent update.

I've been concentrating on progressing the painting of the interiors of both kits but, for reasons I'll explain later, I've got more done on the Airfix build than on the SMER.

e76c8929-ea0a-4414-9d80-14b76a24260f.jpg

First, all the components of the Airfix Walrus got a coat of Halford's Grey Primer. I was careful to mask any contact surfaces first, for better adhesion later. When dry, I sprayed a coat of medium interior green, then some darker Olive Green for shadows and finally I hand-painted the raised surfaces with a lighter interior green.

ff0828f5-5252-4da6-b852-389322067ab5.jpg

This process was repeated on the SMER Walrus.

5fc5a7dd-a5ab-4eaa-a8ed-affd561671f7.jpg

The detail was added to both hull sides on the Airfix kit, a combination of PE and scratch-building (SB), some of which had been pre-painted. From front to back on the Starboard side: two Vickers' K magazines (PE+SB): the second pilot's control yolk, stowed (SB); the second pilot's retractable seat, stowed (PE+SB): the air cylinder for the brake system and a fire extinguisher; four more Vickers' magazines under the rear gunner's position (PE+SB); and aft of them, stowage for canvas engine and prop covers.

There are fewer magazines stowed on the portside, one under the rear gun position ad two–three at the front gun position. There are a number of sidewall instruments mounted by the pilot's position (PE).

4e002cc5-a9b7-454c-bd1d-84cda18706b2.jpg

2add4f01-0b20-43df-bbde-8ebfa3f1d350.jpg

I then proceeded with detailing the rest of the hull. The rest mat was given a leather finish; the radio equipment is PE; the two tables painted in a wood finish.

At the front the seats were partially finished in black leather, salvaged from an old credit card wallet. The seatbelts are HGW paper Walrus Mk.1 early seat belts.
These were fiddly to assemble but look good in position.

The extended foot control bar for the second pilot was also scratch-built.

3f84b57e-a229-414e-9852-b6e6507f1463.jpg

Similar interior detailing was applied to the two sides of the SMER hull, with the breakdown of the materials used largely the same as on the Airfix hull, the main difference being the second pilot's seat was the one supplied with the Airfix kit (PE used there) and while the magazine brackets are mounted the drums aren't as I want to depict this aircraft as it was delivered early in 1939, unarmed.

527e29be-a6b2-4ca8-93da-893db8eee151.jpg

These are the basic accessories used for both builds. As you can see the PE is mostly expended at this point!

fb0baf66-c92a-44dc-823f-cb758c77d087.jpg

Back to Airfix. In terms of the sub-builds the pilot's instrument panel (PE) was added to the underside of the bow cover. I won't be able to get as clear a view once it's in position.

d84d4cfc-97c4-4071-8a5a-23f883ae4554.jpg

1be1c50d-0a34-41a3-ad5f-f3b91fc414fe.jpg

At this point I was able to secure the pilot's platform in position in the hull and attach the portside wall permanently, as above. This is as far as I've got with the Airfix Walrus. The Vickers magazines need to be attached as does the sea anchor in the bow (test fitted in photo 2). I need to make sure that it doesn't impede the bow cover when that's installed, after the starboard side is permanently attached.

Now, progress on the SMER kit.

bbe2efc5-d200-4de5-9116-b81286e3d8f2.jpg

The pilot's platform needs to be fitted to the portside fuselage.

f1b230e8-5df6-4e8a-a59a-fcf28a0b533e.jpg

d88a7c7e-ca19-46c2-b90d-3aa9792b6431.jpg

I forget to show the pilot's platform on the SMER during construction. Here it is painted up but seat belts need to be fitted first.

8819cb96-3449-45d4-9e97-e5aad35b713b.jpg

40230ade-e77f-4413-bb3c-003d30b53c23.jpg

The delay on the seat belts is because, at the last minute, I decided to feature a pilot. This is a bit of a Frankenstein adaptation, using one of the SMER crewmen as a base and modeling him as an IAC pilot of the period to fit the seats and controls - so a lot of cutting, shaping and adapting to get the right pose. I'm researching and working on this at the moment.

3329b912-0f81-4775-af6a-3c4e514b6ee4.jpg

So just to conclude this post, here is the pilot's position showing the instrument panel and the sidewall instruments.

I'll be back when I knock the pilot into some sort of shape.

Gerry

Thanks to all for your comments on my last post.

Well, I did a job on the pilot and this is how he ended up. The modeling on the SMER figure wasn't great but that probably helped adding extra uniform detail – with the exception of the facial features that were non-existent. The pilot featured was a Lt. in the Irish Air Corps in 1939. Unfortunately, the uniform changed around then so, despite having the Osprey Book of Irish Defence Forces Since 1922, I can't be sure mine is absolutely accurate. The most obvious difference is that the early uniform had the high closed circular collar and the later uniform had a tunic collar, worn with shirt and tie – the one I've used. I just don't have a definitive date as to when the changeover took place.

7a16e536-b5b1-4b0d-9b91-bf898467a02d.jpg

4850ed9c-4a1e-4989-b3d0-d68681dd1b36.jpg

73257d0c-6b90-4c1e-b722-3a4e3ee2e6a3.jpg

As you can see, the pilot is positioned at the controls and strapped in using the early Walrus seat belts. Other than that, a few maps have been added to the navigator's table.

I can now add this sub-build to the SMER hull. There was plenty of test-fitting during the process to ensure that the crew platform would still fit when attached.

f5012b22-517b-479b-8918-10941815fa8b.jpg

b4dd6c61-37f4-4991-a3ba-6e0c3cdbd57f.jpg

147d0147-94ae-43b9-ba4f-114b8ab0ef3b.jpg

So after the navigator's seat belts were added and the crew platform now in position, both sides of the SMER hull interior are now complete and the next job will be to join them together.

Likewise with the Airfix Walrus.

c4186916-ec5c-4f3e-aac8-8450076e68db.jpg

The only additions are that a map was added to the table here as well, the sea anchor is positioned, the ammo drums were dry-brushed and the three sets of seatbelts are all installed. Finally, I decided to pose the starboard cabin window in an open position.

So, the next task should be to bring the hulls to completion. First with test fits to make sure that none of the extra PE or additions interfere with the final fit.

e4fa5980-fd59-47c0-9b4d-3eb2d05c9b89.jpg

The Airfix Walrus basically just clicks together. It has the option of an open sliding roof on the canopy and, with the starboard cabin window unglazed, will give a better glimpse of the forward interior.

95ac4490-aa5d-4294-9634-ce989205f1c4.jpg

a716c03c-6b69-4deb-80ae-03eff5ae217a.jpg

The SMER Walrus doesn't allow me as much latitude. Any view of the interior will be through a closed canopy and glazed cabin windows. The second photo shows what will be seen of the interior, including the pilot, when the glazing is in place.

That's pretty much brought me up to date and I will post again when I start work on the rest of the exterior.

Gerry

Thanks to all for your comments on my last post.

Well, I did a job on the pilot and this is how he ended up. The modeling on the SMER figure wasn't great but that probably helped adding extra uniform detail – with the exception of the facial features that were non-existent. The pilot featured was a Lt. in the Irish Air Corps in 1939. Unfortunately, the uniform changed around then so, despite having the Osprey Book of Irish Defence Forces Since 1922, I can't be sure mine is absolutely accurate. The most obvious difference is that the early uniform had the high closed circular collar and the later uniform had a tunic collar, worn with shirt and tie – the one I've used. I just don't have a definitive date as to when the changeover took place.

View attachment 656093

View attachment 656094

View attachment 656095

As you can see, the pilot is positioned at the controls and strapped in using the early Walrus seat belts. Other than that, a few maps have been added to the navigator's table.

I can now add this sub-build to the SMER hull. There was plenty of test-fitting during the process to ensure that the crew platform would still fit when attached.

View attachment 656096

View attachment 656097

View attachment 656098

So after the navigator's seat belts were added and the crew platform now in position, both sides of the SMER hull interior are now complete and the next job will be to join them together.

Likewise with the Airfix Walrus.

View attachment 656099

The only additions are that a map was added to the table here as well, the sea anchor is positioned, the ammo drums were dry-brushed and the three sets of seatbelts are all installed. Finally, I decided to pose the starboard cabin window in an open position.

So, the next task should be to bring the hulls to completion. First with test fits to make sure that none of the extra PE or additions interfere with the final fit.

View attachment 656100

The Airfix Walrus basically just clicks together. It has the option of an open sliding roof on the canopy and, with the starboard cabin window unglazed, will give a better glimpse of the forward interior.

View attachment 656101

View attachment 656102

The SMER Walrus doesn't allow me as much latitude. Any view of the interior will be through a closed canopy and glazed cabin windows. The second photo shows what will be seen of the interior, including the pilot, when the glazing is in place.

That's pretty much brought me up to date and I will post again when I start work on the rest of the exterior.

Gerry
That is going to get good.

Here's a short update of recent progress on the SMER Walrus. As there are a lot fewer parts on this kit, I was interested to see how easily or difficultly the exterior would come together. I put the more complex Airfix Kit aside while I looked at this. What I discovered is that, although there are fewer parts on the SMER build, there is a lot more work to be done to get it to look a bit more accurate.

a33a3b34-70c8-4dd9-b576-16d3d4566ee7.jpg

The tail stabilizers and elevators, top and bottom, are all one piece of horizontal moulded plastic. Note the beautifully defined sink holes on the bottom that will need sanding and filling. The ribbing contours are not too bad here, much better than on the main wings. The tail braces fit into the two slots here.

c9fd39c7-e3d3-4145-a3dd-4326ccdb515a.jpg

Here are the top and bottom port main wings. First the rib contouring is too defined and needs serious sanding back. The top wing is as supplied, the bottom wing has had some sanding done but needs more work to knock them even further back. I should say that all the main wings come in top and bottom halves to be glued together.

'A' shows where the positioning for the roundel is engraved! Not helpful at all as it will need filling before painting!

'B' to the right of the line is where the rectangular port fuel tank is and, although covered in canvas, shouldn't have the ribs showing. So, a lot more sanding required here as well.

'C' I was a bit worried that, on the bottom wings when I first examined them, there was no indication for the positioning of the wing struts. The very basic instructions aren't much help either. However, for anyone thinking of building this kit, the positions are indicated on the undersides of the top half of the lower wing and need to be drilled out before the wing halves are glued together. I used 0.2 -0.5mm drills to fit the strut pins. On the undersides of the upper wings are pre-drilled slots that correspond nicely to the drilled holes.

4fbfe8fc-2d58-4ef0-b338-43ea70e112e7.jpg

So, having built a jig system I started a dry fit to see how the lower wings married to the hull and the tail plane to the tail fin and also to see what sanding/filling or re-scribing is necessary.

'A' The tailfin is presented as fabric covered ribs. This is incorrect for the Walrus Mk. 1, as far as I can see. This has been sanded down to a flat surface and
rescribed with panel lines and rivets. The rudder is however a fabric and rib construction.

'B' The unhelpful etching of the hull decals continues. This has been filled and sanded. I'll have to wait until a light coat of primer is applied to find if it's been successful.

'C' the cockpit canopy when positioned was about 1mm higher than the top of the hull. The easier fix for this was to add the extra height to the hull top and blend it into rear of the hull where the nacelle struts are positioned. This also allowed for some detailing the hull roof over the cabin.

There is very good panel line and riveting detail on both sides of the hull but it's nonexistent on the roof, so this has to be added. Other than the new roof, the only other parts that have been permanently added are the struts for the engine nacelle and the two surrounds for the gun positions.

de8bba8f-69ac-4f00-b5e3-615e1241a323.jpg

So here is the rest of the test fit on the jigs to give the correct wing dihedrals.
What has struck me, is that the fit of the parts is pretty impressive for an older kit. The engine nacelle seems to naturally find the 3-degree centerline offset without the anchor points being obviously offset. (Could that just be my building?).

The wing struts also keep the top and bottom wings in the correct position to each other and, because they slot into the underside of the top wing, they should be really quite stable when glued. There was some work to be done on thinning the positioning tabs on the bottom wings and widening the receiving slots on the hull shoulder before they would fit. This also applies to the fit of the tail stabilizer to the tail fin.

So now the hard work of filling and sanding begins. What I want to do now also, is bring the construction of the Airfix Walrus to the same stage and see from that if any further changes need to be made to the SMER.

That's it for now,

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back