1/48 Wellington Mk. III of 425 Squadron - "Starting to Finish"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stalled a bit here as I almost always do when trying to smooth seams. I've been trying to tackle visible seam issues on the fuselage but it's a pain with the contoured fabric pattern and I'm trying not to lose too much of it in the process. I want to get this done before starting the intricate bomb bay details.

In the meantime, Does anyone know what these are in the pic below (from here: Bomb bay design...)

P1070636-1 Question.jpg

This is the detail that Eduard provides, with no description, but they only have 3 in each outer bay (item B) whereas reference pics show 4 per side.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the inputs. The Eduard detail suggests some kind of cover over the perforated plates. My first thought was some kind of box for the bomb winches.

Hola amigo canadiense :salute:

The "adversities" that the kit presents are quite a challenge, but they are a reason for creativity and motivation to solve them. I've already caught up on your workbench and it will be very instructive together with the great information and photos that are being shared.
In my youth I built a Wellington in 1/72 ... I wait for the opportunity to make one in 1/48
Congratulations Andy, I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Un abrazo y saludos cordiales :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Stalled a bit here as I almost always do when trying to smooth seams. I've been trying to tackle visible seam issues on the fuselage but it's a pain with the contoured fabric pattern and I'm trying not to lose too much of it in the process. I want to get this done before starting the intricate bomb bay details.

In the meantime, Does anyone know what these are in the pic below (from here: Bomb bay design...)

View attachment 654804

This is the detail that Eduard provides, with no description, but they only have 3 in each outer bay (item B) whereas reference pics show 4 per side.

View attachment 654805
bomb bay inspection panels i think there were i believe 3 cels holding the bombs

Last edited:
Hi all, back to show a bit of work I'm doing on the old Wimpy while waiting for the next GB to start. With all the above excellent info on the floatation bags and other details, I'm ready to plunge into detailing the bomb bay. You may recall that I bought a fairly expensive and, dare I say, over-the-top PE detail set from Eduard to replace Trumpeters's rather simplistic take on all the truss work in the bay. Here are the contents of the PE sprues with some of the bits already removed for assembly:

22072704.jpg

The discussion above reveals that Eduard didn't supply enough of the packed flotation bags as there should be 14 in total (I'd say 4 down each side and 6 down the middle) and so I'll need to scratch build a couple which shouldn't be too hard. I started by dividing up the bomb bay into sections using a Sharpie based on where the trusses go:

22072701.jpg

Eduard wants us to install the bags first but I decided to leave these until the trusses are installed so I can better figure out exactly where they should go. So, there are two trusses and you can see the outline of one left on the sprue above. These each fold into two layers between which go dozens of individual uprights and diagonals featuring nice lightening holes. Each of these needs to be folded into a square C-channel shape and then glued in. The there are tiny gusset plates that get folded over and that secure these members in place and most of these have such tiny attachment points that they break off easily and get lost but more on that later. Here is one of the partly assembled trusses with the Trumpeter part below it. A vast improvement, yes but VERY finicky work, even for me.

22072702.jpg

Another view:

22072703.jpg

This all requires incredible patience, steady hands, plenty of gel-CA glue, and a somewhat demented mind so if you have all those requirements, then go ahead and buy this aftermarket tinker toy. If not, save your money!

I'll post more in a day or two on some of the other details I mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back