1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's my humble build of the new tooling 1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk1. A very lovely kit indeed with detailed sub-assemblies for the cockpit, engines, landing flaps, landing gears, weighted tires and an incredible bomb bay and mini bomb racks. Details that you only see on bigger and more expensive brands and aftermarket. Despite these, the build is quite simple enough for the novice builder, even with the daunting canopy glazing in three pieces. Decals are also thin and crisp.

Even the Lewis gun for the dorsal gunner is quite detailed. Optional parts for the dorsal gunner bubble and landing gears are included for raised and lowered positions and open or closed bomb bays. Detailed 500 lbs and 20 lbs bombs are also included in this kit. The engines are detailed enough to have an option to show with the engine housing open. Optional parts for both standard and tropical engine filters and open or closed engine cowling flaps are also included. The separate control surface parts can also be shown in different positions if desired.
This build is almost OOB with only minor mods for the addition of the top canopy tracks and the added aerial antennas.

Colors are Mr Hobby acrylic paints while weathering is done with Mr Hobby weathering pastels and Tamiya panel line accent colors.The aircraft I chose to show is from RAF 62 Squadron based in Butterworth, Malaya circa 1941, flown by Squadron Leader Arthur Stewart King Scarf VC.

Caveat> The markings included shows the same Blenheim Mk1 aircraft based in Singapore prior to being stationed in RAF Butterworth, Malaya. But the codes show an "FX" rather than a "PT" marking as referenced for the Blenheim Mk1s stationed in Singapore.

Raised ribs(?) on the control surfaces is also a concern but can be easily remedied. I left these alone in this build and decided to show some frame weathering instead. The lack of a belly gun pack is also evident for the night fighter option. But looking at the extra parts intended for the MkIV version, this maybe included in that kit instead. I also wish that the wingtip lights could have been included as well as clear parts. The most difficult part of this build that I consider would be the canopy masking, but after that hurdle, everything is comparatively simple.

A highly recommended "new tooling kit" for all skill levels of modelers.

BlenheimMk1_01.jpg

BlenheimMk1_02.jpg

BlenheimMk1_05.jpg

More images of this build in this link...

Very nicely done.
Airfix have been doing some good work in 're-tooling' some of their really old kits, and releasing new ones, and I'm hoping they release the Blenheims in 1/48th scale too.

FYI, the 'FX' squadron codes are appropriate for 62 Sqn which is the unit in which Sqn Ldr Scarf served when he earned the VC. Blenheims with 'PT' code letters belonged to 27 Sqn which was officially a fighter squadron but had more of a multi-role function providing day fighting, night fighting (probably a limited capability) and normal bombing operations.

Thank you kindly gents. And all that related material for the serial and codes makes for some quite interesting reading indeed.

Caveat conforme...code and serial number matches...

Can't wait for the Mk IV with all the trimmings...

Lovely. I'm impressed! Your paint work is very subtle and masterfully done. I think it's so cool that Airfix actually included a bomb bay with this kit.

A great model ( I did the later version as a youngster) such a sleek AC but was a disaster in service, the margin between the Mosquito and Blenheim were not so great but in service turned out to be massive.

Thanks again folks....

Yup, now that Airfix is churning these "new tooling" kits lately, there has been a sudden fall in the sandpaper industry.

Hahahahaha. And my putty stocks have taken a hit also!

Airfix knew their market, as a kid I was impressed with the blenheims "detail" hedgehog spikes all over the place. It was serious adult modellers who put the boot into Airfix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back