1/72 Hasegawa, Kawanishi N1K1, 1st Prototype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Hello everyone.

On this occasion, I will restart in the construction of an aircraft on the scale of 1/72, after just over 35 years. (... and in those days of youth, it was the only scale that I assembled in airplanes)

It is a kit that I gave to a nephew and after a while he asked me to assembled it for him. I must mention that this is part of 3 kits that very kindly gave me as a gift a good friend of this forum.

It is my thirteenth model and also the seventh that I include in a thread in this forum.

The Art box:

1.jpg

It's my 2nd Hasegawa model, but the first one in 1/72 (since my return to static modeling in December 2012)
I really like the detail and the quality of the plastic of the kit, which I have advanced and some dry fit tests have shown a good assembly of the pieces.

The version I'm going to make: \\:D/

First prototype. Kasei 14 engine with two anti-rotating 2-blade propellers.
Kawanishi Naruo plant. 6th May, 1942

A.jpg

Beginning to read a bit about this Float Fighter, I was very struck by the knowledge that it is the only Japanese aircraft that was first created as a hydroplane and then for its performance, making the conversion to a fighter.
This was something that made me very significant and interesting considering the large number of seaplanes that arose from all the countries during WWII ... and all (or at least the vast majority), first were fighter aircraft that were later adapted as seaplanes.

2.jpg

I hope you join me in the process and already know in advance that any suggestion, recommendation, images and information that you consider opportune, will be well received.

It will be another model that I build OOB.

And I´m sure that it will be another pleasant moment to share and continue learning together about static modeling and WWII aviation.

Saludos de gran altura :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

Hello Geo and W, and thanks for the previous information to start with this project, and I'm glad to see you here too Chad.

I started with a little work on detailing and improving the appearance of the seat, with respect to real images of this N1K1 ...
The different holes in the seat became a reality ...

2.jpg

... as well as thinning as much as possible the thickness of the metal with which it is made.

3.jpg

... and give the correct form to the backrest ...

4.jpg
5.jpg

Work the detail in 1/48, is tiny and has been very enriching, ... but in 1/72 !?? :crazyeyes: :crazy:

6.jpg

Improving the appearance of the back wall of the cockpit ...

7.jpg
8.jpg

The sanding of the pieces to be joined is minimal and the assembly of the "transport car" was optimal. The wheels turn perfectly.

13.jpg
14.jpg

I was struck by the fact that in the case of the "pontoon" (float assembly), the kit includes a piece with the appropriate weight (counterweight) that is placed inside the front part of the central pontoon. I did not take a photograph of the piece (ready to assemble and just fix it with a little glue)

The pontoon in process and the finished transport cart ...

16.jpg

It's all for now, I'm going to prepare other photos that I already have, but first I have to go to the bank ... it's Friday and day of payments !! .

Saludos :thumbup:

Good start. I did two 1:72 aircraft in the late 90s. Quick and easy but it amazes me how some guys can super detail the cockpit. I gave up and went to 1:48
Hahaha, I believe you, ... wait to see my cockpit, I finished it days ago, and not even in my younger years ... for the sake of the health of my eyes, I will not do it anymore !! [-(

:thumbup:

Hello again, I will continue with the update of the progress ...

As Chad says, it's time for "Bring on the tiny bits!"
Those side panels are very simple and empty, so I gave shape to the new controls with cranks and the corresponding instrument boxes. With acupuncture needles I made the small levers.

9.jpg
10.jpg

I also used my refined technique of making other levers and cranks, giving them the appropriate height, introducing the needles from the bottom of the cockpit.

11.jpg

This is the central joystick ... small indeed!

12.jpg

This is how the future cockpit looks like at first ...

17.jpg
18.jpg

The engine is very well detailed for the size it has and after giving it color it was better ...

24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg

For tomorrow I'll have something else, good night from here and have a good weekend start.

Buenas noches :thumbup:

Looking very nice. This is going to be an especially fun build to watch as I have a soft spot for Japanese aircraft.

Start the application of the interior color ... (XF-71 Cpckpit Green IJN)

22.jpg
21.jpg
20.jpg

With strips of aluminum foil, I made the belts:

23.jpg

I improvised with a piece of branch and two sections of acupuncture needle, the only piece on the wall on the left side that could be visible.
Note that both walls of the cockpit do not bring any detail (1st. pic in this post), because it is impossible to see anything on this scale and in such a small opening. :dontknow:

29.jpg

... 85% of the interior of "the pilot's office"

28.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

Coming soon the IP, the mini-job in the gunsight and finish at 100% "The office" :D

I share a couple of panoramas of my workbench: :cool:

1) The area where I am working with N1K1

32.jpg

2) All the space including the left table where the B-25G rests that I have in a short break.

34.jpg

Thank you for your visits and comments, ... take advantage of our time available to give shape and color to the plastic!
:pilotsalute:

Happy modeling time! :thumbup:

Nice job Luis! Looking very busy indeed. This is always my favorite part of a build and you executed it nicely.

I like it very much. I know very little about Japanese aircraft but several build I've seen have just one shoulder strap instead of two. Are two straps correct for this machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back