1/72 Hasegawa, Kawanishi N1K1, 1st Prototype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is the process of riveting, were some hours with their interruptions and breaks. I must confess that I did it very slowly and practically did not have any setbacks.
First one wing, the vertical lines and the same in the other wing. Then the horizontal ones on both wings..

I made the fuselage also by parts ...

The upper part finished ...

The pontoons were also ready ...

I hope to work tomorrow with the bottom part.

Greetings and excellent week for all.

Gracias chicos por pasar a visitar.

Before continuing with the riveting of the bottom part, with a little putty, I eliminated some small separations (fissures) between the fuselage and the rear stabilizers.

... then I finished the riveting of the lower part of the N1K1:

Among the details that I found in some real photos of the seaplane, I found and liked to make these holes in the lower part of the main pontoon (I think it has to be a kind of "drainage" to drain the water).

... and so I did it:

Another detail that would try for the first time in this scale will be the lights of the wing tips.

This is for now in this advancement of photos, I still have more advanced, but it will be in a next sequence.

For any questions I will be very pleased to answer and thank you for your company.
I'll be back...

It did not take me long to go back, right?

Well, I also took the opportunity to redo the line that because of the work of filling in those holes, filing and sanding, was lost.

With a toothbrush and soapy water, I gave her a deep wash and dried with a microfiber towel ...

Now yes, she´s ready to start the painting process and from now on, I would manipulate the plane with surgeon's gloves, so as not to dirty or grease the surface.

I have decided to put a base layer on the ailerons, to differentiate the material from which they are coated (canvas fabric, is not it? ), with respect to the metal surface of the rest of the plane.

I also took the opportunity to mask the "removable covers" of the wings, which pretend to slightly vary the color due to the use and wear of manipulating them when working with the ground-staff personal.

First I worked on the ailerons ...

Except for your best opinion, I plan to paint the "removable covers", with a light coat of beige, gray or a mixture of both ...

... in a 70-30 thinner-paint ratio, to only achieve a subtle variation when applying the final color that will cover the entire model.
I'm already working on imagining the process of post-shading, washes and weathering, to try the best appearance according to the reality of the 40's

I hope you enjoy it and in the next few days I will be able to share with you how things are happening.

Saludos amigos míos.

P.D. For all those who like soccer, I hope you also enjoy the 2018 world cup from Russia

Following the process, apply the color to the removable lids ...

... and ... that's how it was ready to apply the exterior color ...

I placed the canopy, to delineate the interior parter of the cabin, that I will paint of XF-71

I thought about it a lot, because of the risk involved in spoiling the transparent piece !!
I had already done something similar but in 1/48 aircrafts. But there would only be one way to find out ...

In the following sequence I will show you how it went!
See you soon...

Saludos

It was a job that I did very, very, very slowly, moving the mini-saws was something very careful to avoid scratching the glass with some "slip" of the mini-saw !!

... I also helped me with a "thin and resistant tip", to go little by little marking the line where I would use the saws ...

After cleaning each new piece and sanding the possible asperses of each cut, the result is this:

With Tamiya ETC, I put in its place each end of the canopy ... and I put the central part (without glue) in the position that will allow to see the inside of the tiny cockpit !!

Finally I realized that the thickness of the transparent piece is out of proportion ... (indicated by the arrows)

With a file of "mouse tail" and sandpaper conditioned to size, I could "reduce" that thickness to something more appropriate.}

But we can see that later. I already began to mask the canopy (well, only the central part - and it took me a long time !!)
Tomorrow I plan to finish the masking, and start with the exterior painting, ... I will continue to show you how things are going with our N1K1.

May you all have an excellent weekend.
Cheers

Thanks Wojtek, Dr. Huge and Terry , ... I'm taking my first 1/72 aircraft seriously, after more than 27 years!!

After an entertaining work in the masking of the three parts of the canopy, I confirm that it is one of the stages that I enjoy the most: working with tape and liquid mask ...

You will have noticed in the fourth photo of post # 51, that they won the odds that the "rudder" of the main pontoon would come off, ... so to start painting, I had to leave my composure ready ...

One more cleaning with alcohol and a clean cloth to start painting.
That yellow-orange color, according to the recommendation, I made it with 95% XF-3 and 5% XF-3. To the resulting mixture I added 60% isopropyl alcohol and applied it in light coats.
The result...

Now, to continue working on the exterior work (the black color of cowling, shadows on the panel lines, the Hinumarus, etc.)

Thanks for the visits, seguimos en contacto amigos!!.

P.D.: BTW (requesting an apology in advance), we are very happy, celebrating the triumph of the Mexican national soccer team in its opening game, against the defending champion, Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread