1/72 Hasegawa, Kawanishi N1K1, 1st Prototype

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy I thank you the words and I think your comment is a compliment, I'm sure there must be more modelers who can share this rare taste, vice or disease, with the canopy masking! :nurse: :lock: :nurse:

It was the turn to mask the front of the seaplane, and I liked how you can see the wide black strip (I suppose it is the one that indicates the area of precaution where the propellers rotate), of some images that I got on the net.

131.jpg
132.jpg
133.jpg

I applied several thin layers of 40% X-1 and 60% IPA
134.jpg

Removing the tapes, this was the result

137.jpg
138.jpg
139.jpg
140.jpg

I will start to give the post-shading, but first I will work on the Hinumarus, I will not use the decals that the kit brings, mainly because I think they are very thick and they seem to have a lot of time. It will only be a matter of making circles and apparently there are no large numbers or symbols, that includes the version we are making. (From the information I received and found on the internet)

1A.jpg
1B.jpg

Help: If any of you has knowledge and / or images where you can verify that our version of the first prototype includes some nomenclature, numbers, letters or symbols in addition to the Hinomarus, I will thank you in advance for the answer and information that you have. :pompous:

May you all have a prosperous and fun week.
Saludos :thumbup:

Luis I'm not sure of the strip on the float should be black. Its hue in the B&W pics is quite similar to the Hinomaru tone. This might suggest the red colour there.

Luis I'm not sure of the strip on the float should be black. Its hue in the B&W pics is quite similar to the Hinomaru tone. This might suggest the red colour there.

It is very likely that you are right Wojtek, in some drawings and work of other modelers, the strips are red. In my case, I used as a pretext the color image that I used in post # 1 ... I liked how it looks, and even though it does not have the red guides that indicate the position in the transporter. Those I will do in Red color.

2.jpg

It is the image that surely is not reliable, but I liked the appearance. :facepalm:

I appreciate your comments, and recommendations, don´t stop!! mi estimado amigo, :thumbleft: ;) :thumbright:

Wayne and George, they are very kind with their words ;), I hope to do a fair job to this small and interesting prototype.

I calculated the diameter of the Hinomarus and with the circular cutter, I drew the circles on a Tamiya adhesive sheet ...

141.jpg

The masking and painting of the Hinomarus and the pontoon strips was fun. I used Model Air 71085

142.jpg
143.jpg

Although I paid attention to check that the circles were well adhered, I forgot to pass a sharp toothpick through the lines of the panels that surround the Hinomarus :confused:... and the result was evident ... !! o_O

144.jpg
145.jpg
146.jpg
147.jpg

... in the 6 circles there were small runoffs along some panel lines ...:grumpy:!!

148.jpg
149.jpg

Even so, I like how this colorful seabird looks ...

152.jpg

I already worked on these corrections, on the next opportunity I upload the pics. :smuggrin:

Hasta pronto compadritos (appreciative diminutive of compadre) :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

... The corrections

153.jpg
154.jpg
155.jpg
156.jpg

With a mixture of black and brown very diluted, I made the post-shading to the panel lines on the yellow of the fuselage ...

157.jpg
158.jpg
159.jpg
160.jpg
161.jpg

... and with medium gray I also did it on the black of the cowling ...

162.jpg

Later, once the paint was cured, with fine sandpapers I left the entire surface smooth and tried to sand a little more in the cowling and Hinomarus, to simulate the natural wear that an aircraft in use could have.
(It also allowed me to blur a little the excess of post-shading in some lines)

In a moment the photos ...:thumbup:

Thanks Geo, even allowed me to improve the circumference of one of the lateral Hinomarus, which was slightly oval! :bag:

With some layers of Future, the entire surface of the plane and pontoons, were ready to apply some washes with oils.

163.jpg
164.jpg
165.jpg

The effect of wear on the Hinomarus, discreet, but notorious ...

167.jpg
168.jpg
169.jpg

... work in the cowling:

170.jpg
171.jpg

... and that's how I started with the washing of oils. Asphalt and Toast Shade, for the yellow surface and Black Ivory with White for the black surface.

172.jpg
173.jpg

... this was until yesterday, ... it seems that the advance is already at 75% approximately, we will see that we can take advantage during the weekend.

Gracias por sus comentarios y hasta pronto :thumbup:

When holding the pontoons with tweezers, I broke the small plastic part that holds to the wing of one of the secondary pontoons, as well as one from the main pontoon. A long piece of clip, for the main pontoon and a small piece of acupuncture needle for the secondary pontoon ...

174.jpg
175.jpg
176.jpg

Avoiding the risk during the painting process and weathering, I decided to place the pitot and the dorsal antenna, once I finished those processes ...

177.jpg
178.jpg

I have seen that there are several photographs and images of the network, where the dorsal antenna of this prototype is leaning forward, approximately about 45 degrees. :thumbright:

With a brush, I will color them, I will give them the weathering they require and everything will be covered with the layers of varnish matte (will be later ...).

Now, it is only one piece the first prototype that existed of this seaplane

179.jpg

... I'm coming back with a bit more of the progress so far ... :pilotsalute:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back