136 Woodpecker Burma Squadron (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just thought I'd update this thread. I've now had a meeting with Max, who took the trouble to travel up to my hovel in deepest, darkest Hippocroccofrog land, and it's been agreed that I will build the Spitfire MkVIII, in 1/48th scale, flown by Bob Cross, the highest scoring pilot, of the highest scoring Squadron, in RAF SEAC.
It's an honour and a pleasure to do this, especially as the family have requested it, and this might be followed by the Hurricane Bob flew earlier.
I'm a little ashamed to admit that I know very little of the campaigns in the CBI Theatre, even though some of my own family were lost there, which strengthens the WW2 title of 'The Forgotten Army', the name applied to the British and Commonwealth Forces (in general) fighting in the Far East.
With this in mind, intensive research is already underway, not only into Bob's actions and that of 136 Squadron, but into the air war, and situation in general, in the CBI. So far, I've learned a lot, and I'm staggered at the problems faced by the air and ground crews in this theatre, relying on clapped-out aircraft, the log books of which were actually stamped 'Unfit for Operational Use', whilst combating the terrain and weather, and the debilitating effects of the jungle, a place I am more than familiar with, poor food, lousy accommodation, and lack of spares etc.
As this subject fits nicely into the 'Commonwealth' Group Build requirements, I'll be entering this model into that GB, using the ICM kit when it arrives. But first, I have a lot of reading and research to do, especially trying to nail down a specific serial number for the Spit MkVIII flown by Bob.
Further up-dates will be posted in the GB thread, when I open it.

Great stuff Bob - Barbara I are really looking forward to seeing 'Uncle Bob's' aircraft take shape - thanks for all your research - cant wait!!!!!
M&B

Just double posted as well!!
Max

Last edited:
Max you will not be disappointed with Terry. He'll do you up right. :cool:

Look forward to this thread.

Thanks Matt
Having seen some of what Teery can do I know its going to be fantastic!8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back