13's....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

....and I just noticed the date!

IMG_20190727_130621.jpg

Bocharov_Vladimir_Mikhaylovich.jpg

Vladimir Bocharov was born in 1910 in the city of Kursk, in the family of a locomotive driver. He graduated from 9 classes of secondary school number 42 in Kursk and in 1928 entered the Volsky United School of Pilots and Aviation Technicians. Then he was transferred to the 3rd military school of pilots and letnabov in Orenburg, from which he graduated in 1931. He served in the 40th Squadron of the 83rd Fighter Aviation Brigade of the Belarusian Military District. In 1936, for success in combat, political and technical training, Senior Lieutenant V.M. Bocharov was awarded the Order of the Red Star.
From October to November 1936, he participated in the national - revolutionary war of the Spanish people. Commanding an aviation detachment, Senior Lieutenant V.M. Bocharov participated in many air battles, always attacked the enemy first and imposed a battle on him, with accurate fire and skillful maneuver creating favorable conditions for the actions of the Republican Air Force fighter planes.
November 13, 1936 near Madrid in a fight with 5 enemy fighters was shot down. Seriously wounded, fell into the hands of the Nazis, was tortured and was brutally murdered.
For courage and bravery shown in battles with enemies, on December 31, 1936, he was posthumously awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.
Awarded orders: Lenin, Red Banner; medal A street in Kursk is named after him. A memorial plaque is installed on the house where V. M. Bocharov lived. In 1987, in the park near the school where he studied, a bust of the Hero was installed.

Vladimir Bocharov - one of many Soviet pilots - volunteers participating in the national liberation war of the Spanish people, was born in 1910 in Kursk, in the family of a railway worker. At the age of 17 he entered the Volsky military - aviation theoretical school, after which he was sent to the Orenburg school of pilots. Having successfully completed it, he became a fighter pilot.
From 1931 to 1933, he served in the 7th IAE as a junior pilot, from 1933 to 1934 - as a senior pilot, and then was the flagship navigator of the 106th IAE. In the rank of Senior Lieutenant, he commanded a detachment of the 40th IAE of the 83rd IAB of the Belarusian Military District.
In the training air battles V. M. Bocharov showed extraordinary perseverance and the will to win. Together with the best pilots twice a year, on May 1 and November 7, he was sent to Moscow to participate in an air parade over Red Square. For the excellent development of new aviation technology in 1936 he was awarded the Order of the Red Star (05/25/1936).
In the same year, Vladimir Bocharov voluntarily went to Spain. From October 1936 he was the commander of the I-15 fighter squadron. Had a pseudonym "José Galars". In aerial combat, personally and in a group with his comrades, destroyed 2 enemy aircraft.
November 10, 1936 at 13:20 at the airfield of Alcala 16 I-16 fighters flew from Albacete. The good news of the arrival of the replenishment raised the spirits, and such an unusual plane for its time aroused the interest of many. On this occasion, decided to make a demonstration of aerobatics. Bocharov, who raised his fighter into the air, caused admiration among all. Even the pilots of the I-15 squadron, who saw how they fly on this plane in their homeland, saw this pilotage for the first time.

One of the Soviet pilots - volunteers, Hero of the Soviet Union EF Kondrat, recalling the high flying skills of Bocharov, writes:

"It's not difficult for a pilot to recognize the master's handwriting. I also flew I-16, but now it seemed to me that he had run away somehow faster from Bocharov and had left the ground earlier than usual. He broke off and immediately steeply went up. I thought that the motor cannot be pulled out, but the motor is pulled out. Bocharov put the plane on the wing, taking it higher and higher in a spiral, made several figures, and everything went out gracefully and swiftly.
But then he suddenly plunged down into a steep peak. It's time to go, it's time, and he pulls. Nikolay Artemyev looked uneasily at me and ... he sighed with relief: "Ishachok" straightened the flight almost near the ground, which is called, cut the airfield grass - and again rushed along the arc into the set, almost touching the ground ...
When Bocharov taxied and jumped off to the ground, the American pilots rushed to embrace him. And the red-haired big Arthur enthusiastically clapped a huge palm over the fuselage, repeating: "Belie led! ..

Volodya stood, taking off his helmet, embarrassedly repulsing the praises: "Oh, you little things ..."
Boldly, boldly flew and Colonel Julio - Pumpur, masterfully drove the car to Pablo Palankar - Levers, many other talented pilots arrived in Spain, but Jose - Volodya Bocharov was out of reach. "
But not long had to fight a brave pilot. In November 1936, he died tragically.
Sergei Prokofievich Denisov, twice Hero of the Soviet Union, who flew in the same squadron with Bocharov, recalls:
"The battle of November 13, from which VM Bocharov did not return, I remember well. We flew in two troops. One led the Bocharov, the other - I. The squadron commander SF Tarkhov flew with us. When the" carousel "began, so fighters usually fought in those years, I saw one of our planes fall into enemy territory. The car did not burn, but the pilot apparently was injured or killed. "
In fact, in a fight with 5 enemy fighters, the Non-51 in the Madrid area, Bocharov shot down one of them, but he himself was shot down. Being seriously wounded, he made a forced landing in the Segovia region, in the territory occupied by the enemy. Seeing that he was surrounded, Bocharov began shooting back, hoping to keep the last bullet for himself, but did not calculate ... He hit a German officer who ran towards him with the last bullet. Francois grabbed him, tortured him, then brutally killed him and abused the body of a pilot.

After 2 days, the enemy plane dropped a wooden box tied to a parachute over Madrid. It contained the hacked remains of a man and scraps of clothing. Friends and comrades with great difficulty identified V. M. Bocharov.
The remains transported to the morgue were shown to foreign correspondents who were shocked by this act of cruelty. Photos with the corresponding captions got into many foreign newspapers. The unexpected international response caused by this event led General Franco to initiate an investigation, which, as one would expect, led to nothing.
bocharv1.jpg
The news of this barbarism instantly spread around the militia and militiamen of the Republican troops, who immediately decided to shoot down the pilots of the downed planes descending by parachute, believing that it could only be enemy pilots. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Some Soviet and Republican pilots became victims of shelling from the ground. So Sergei Tarkhov (who died later in the hospital) was seriously injured, the Spanish pilot Fernando R. Viltara was killed ...
By decree of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR of December 31, 1936, for the courage and military prowess shown in the performance of military duty, Vladimir Mikhailovich Bocharov was posthumously awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.

aej.jpg

USAF F-16C #86-0231 with number 13 of the 527th AS at Bentwaters in 1990. The USAFE agressor squadron
only flew with the viper for two years. Also a reason why they were never adorned with a true agressor livery,
like their American counterparts. These units were disbanded in 1991, after the demise of the Iron Curtain
[Airsceneuk photo by Graham Haynes]

Source: aej.jpg photos | F-16.net

vh-13-f1.jpg

VH-13 in late 1940, still with the early green livery and without yellow bands. The patches on the wings, well visible on the national markings, suggest some maintenance work, perhaps on the command lines of the ailerons.
The light air intake over the nose could be from another plane

vh-13-f3.jpg

VH-13 in summer 1941, with the newly applied yellow bands on the fuselage and wings, but still without the yellow nose.

vp-13-f1.jpg

VH-13 again. Note the irregular raising of the light grey on the sides.

Source: I-153s in Finnish Ilmavoimat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back