13's.... (12 Viewers)

Convair 580 'N113AP' 1985 AIRH
Convair 580 'N113AP' 1985 AIRH.png
 
Convair 580 'N113AP' 1985 AIRH
View attachment 877199
I worked on that airframe when it flew for Republic and Northwest Airlines. I may have Taxied it also. My Crew Chief who loved those planes took me out for qualification a few weeks before they were retired as an excuse to spend more time in them before they were sold off in the early 1990's. The only other large turboprop I had taxied before was my prior employers YS-11's. The 580's had so much more power and handled like a sports car in comparison. Even if many of the systems were similar. Thanks for the memories.
 
I got to passenger in YS-11 in '82 or '83. I didn't know what it was until Shinpachi Shinpachi answered my query. I only remembered it being a Mitsubishi.
 
I got to passenger in YS-11 in '82 or '83. I didn't know what it was until Shinpachi Shinpachi answered my query. I only remembered it being a Mitsubishi.
Rob, here is a Picture of one of the 2 YS-11's in Simmonds Airlines colors, fresh out of the paint shop in 1984. We operated 6 airframes, and had another hangar queen used for spare parts. We were an odd airline operating as both Republic Express, and American Eagle, 2 of the remaining YS-11 airframes were painted in the RE or AE colors, but if one of those had an issue they could not be operated on the competitors routes, that is why the 2 YS-11's and around 6 Shorts 360's were still painted in Simmons Airlines colors, they could be used on both the Republic Express or the American Eagle routes without violating either contract.
That all changed when Northwest bought Republic Airlines in 1985. I had since gone to work for Republic, and Northwest soon canceled the agreement with Simmons as they had agreements with Fisher Brothers, and another commuter for the same routes.
The YS-11's were a bit odd for a large turboprop as they used all electric deicing on not only the wing leading edges, but also the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, along with the RR Darts engine inlets, and the Propeller blades. That required Wild Frequency Generators to power the Electric Deicing systems. Ah, memories and some nightmares!
1777656593070.png
 
Last edited:
Going thru my old work pictures I found a "13" 757 N513NW in winter maintenance
1777660774219.png
 
full.jpg

the pic source: More F4B for Thee
 
Dassault MD-454 Mystere IVA '113' 1991 AIRH
View attachment 877420
Is that an F-80 to its left?
 
Look at all the Polish Fiat's!

Yep .. and one Škoda 100. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back