150 octane fuel in US Air forces besides 8th Air Force?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Starly

Recruit
Jan 27, 2023
I was able to find information that 8th Air Force started widely issuing 150 octane fuel since summer 1944 for the 8th Air Force in WW2. Increasing manifold pressure for P-47s, P-51s and P-38s.
However I couldn't find any information about the other US Air forces like 3rd or 9th for example. I've seen someone saying that 9th Air Force did not use 150 octane fuel but I don't know If that's true or not.

1. Did any other US air force use 150 octane fuel besides 8th?
2. If not, why?

Last edited:
Remember that in the '30s when he took a break from his Army Aviation career, James Doolittle was employed by Royal Dutch Shell, and successfully encouraged them to develop the high octane refining processes that became a big factor in Allied air superiority.

To my knowledge, no other US Air Force other than the 8th used 100/150 grade fuel, however, Major James B. Tapp of the 78th FS, 15th Group on Iwo Jima wrote: "The Command had begun using the 115/145 Octane leaded gasoline." 7th Fighter Command History

As to the constraints see http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/supplymemo-11july44.pdf

The RAF used it at home with ADGB and on the continent with the 2nd TAF. See: 150 Grade Fuel

That's interesting. Wish I could find some information on the performance with 115/145 octane fuel.
So to my understanding basically all US air forces in Europe besides 8th used 100/130 octane fuel.

Do you know by any chance how big was 8th air force compared to the others? I believed for quite a long time that almost all US planes after summer of 1944 ran on 150 octane fuel. Now I see that's wrong and I'd like to have an idea how many US fighters actually ran on 150 octane fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread