1918-1939 The eBay finds (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parnall 382 - Wikipedia

1629970861317.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Vickers Vildebeest K4599

Eric Charles NODRUM Sergeant Eric Charles Nodrum 400864 (Observer) of 36SQN RAF was killed when Vickers Vildebeest K4599 was shot down near Endau, Malaya by Japanese carrier borne fighter aircraft
Also killed were Flight Sergeant Ernest Lyall 580214 RAF (Pilot) and Flight Sergeant Owen Haggan 612057 RAF (Air Gunner) - none of the crew were recovered and they are all commemorated on the Singapore Memorial

1630232362496.png

Parnall 382 - Wikipedia

View attachment 639284

It's a mystery to me why the Air Ministry didn't order this into production, it was almost identical to the Miles Magister, which was ordered to a later specification, although it had better performance and had a lighter all-up weight, and with its party piece, Handley Page leading-edge slots interconnected to its flaps, had a very low stalling speed of 40 mph (wiki says 42, my copy of Putnam's Parnall Aircraft says 40 so I'm going with that).

It's a pretty thing, too. The Magister for comparison, also has simple clean looks.

49267906908_f5221d397f_b.jpg
Magister-2

View attachment 640508

A really nice shot! Despite what the seller and/or photographer noted, based on the markings I suspect the photo was take between July 1928 and May 1929. VS-5 was activated on 1 July 1928 and inactivated in July 1937. Originally assigned to Scouting Fleet's light cruiser divisions two and three, it was assigned directly to Light Cruiser Division Two (with LCD-3 aircraft reassigned to Scouting Six) in July 1929. The only division detailed to the Asiatic Fleet during this period was LCD-2 (May 1928-May 1929).

5-S-5 and 5-S-6 were assigned to Detroit at this time, and both aircraft returned to the US with the ship at the end of the Far-East assignment. The mention of Heron in the caption might have been based on aircraft repairs aboard that ship, or a simple visit there. Again, nice photo - thanks for posting it!

Cheers,

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back