1943-44: the best Axis fighter(s)?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He was then asked if he thought the Spitfire could outturn the 109. He answered, "Yes, but not by as much as you might think".

I was recently watching a nice Youtube on the Spitfire that was posted here.
One of the things that amazed me in the inevitable comparisons with the 109 is the sheer lack of room the 109 pilot had, to the extent that the full range of movement of the stick was interfered with if not restricted.
Especially with the 'motor cannon' fitted.
How anyone could fight in a turning twisting dogfight with that so small machine amazes me.
I know people talk about 'strapping on' the plane but even so.

My vote for 1944 has to be the Fw190 D9 for late 44 the Fw190 A8 for early 44.

Last edited:
Best Axis fighter?
As a "firepower nut" I'd plump for anything bristling with cannons; sure I know their weight cuts down manoeuvrability, but dainty dogfighting was old hat for much of the later war and pilots often made high-speed flybys straight through the combat zone to brutally nail their victims before they knew what hit them.
Here's my FW-190 (6x cannons and 2x MG's) in action in the Sturmovik IL-2 flight sim-

IL-fwA8R1a.jpg

IL-FwA8R6c.jpg

Last edited:
Fw 190A-6 up to early 1944: after the A-6 the A series 190s started losing their edge.
AS series 109s most of 1944.
Fw 190D-9 late 1944.

For the Germans that's as good a list as any. I can't comment on the Japanese.

Cheers

Steve

Marseille spent 17 months in Africa using his Me-109 to hack down 151 poorly trained British kids. What's the difference?

You need to look at RAF/Commonwealth training programs and more importantly the nationalities flying in the desert at the time.

Maybe in another thread at another time :)

I'm not pointing a finger at Marseille but JG 27 was one of the units that we know had members who made fraudulent,dishonest claims. That's quite different from the common overclaiming of just about every unit in every airforce that ever engaged in combat.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
That's enough firepower to shoot down the Death Star. :)

IMO 3 x 20mm cannon should be plenty, especially if at least one is centerline mounted for those long range shots.

Seriously, the choice has to be between the Fw190 and the Bf109. The best Japanese fighters (Ki-84, N1K, J3M) were just entering widespread service in late 1944 and they were all hampered by poor engine reliability, declining workmanship, etc. Even at their best, I'd rank the Japanese planes as only the equal of the Fw190A and Bf109G and clearly inferior to the Fw190D. There were some fine Italian planes as well, but I'd stick with the Fw190.

FW-190 (6x cannons and 2x MG's)
That's enough firepower to shoot down the Death Star. :)
IMO 3 x 20mm cannon should be plenty, especially if at least one is centerline mounted for those long range shots.

Like I said, I'm a firepower nut and can never have too much..:)
"Never fear to use massive overwhelming firepower, let the fear be your enemies"- Poor Old Spike wargaming and flight simming maxim

Poor Old Spike quote- I'm a firepower nut and can never have too much

With that attitude why not mount a pair of 2cm KwK38 or maybe even 3cm Mk103 cannon?

Sure, if their weight didn't slow my rate of climb too much and prevent me catching the high-flying heavy bomber formations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back