1944 RAF B-25 Mitchells - never seen one w ventral turrets... anyone? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wiking

Airman
Jun 28, 2009
USA Norway
So I never knew of any B-25's built with a rear ventral turret.. and I'm curious whether any experts here would care to elaborate?

Came across this British Pathe video on YouTube showing them at the 0:01 and 0:57 and 2:00 minute marks:

The footage shows some RAF B-25's, dated 1944, unknown location, but landscape is arid desert. The turrets are unglazed, and appear retractable.. maybe some of you are experts and could elaborate on the turrets - Anyone know their origin? I can only speculate the RAF specified the turrets, or maybe an RAF installation, or less likely a field modification?

I don't think the RAF was in combat in Africa in 1944, so elsewhere in the Mediterranean, or CBI Theater? (...other footage are A-20 Havocs and some interesting Mk.?? Mosquitoes over Europe).

Cheers,
- Wiking.

Last edited:
The turrets WERE UNGLAZED AND RETRACTABLE. They were remotely controlled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, yes, that's implied... what were their origin? An RAF spec? I associate remote turrets more w/US aircraft because of the B-29's, these are def not that version... the sighting blisters appear just behind the trailing edge wing root?

Last edited:
No, the Bendix turret was specified by the AAF, starting with the B-25B, through early B-25Gs. It was also used on early B-24Ds. The sighting was done through a periscope that was part of the turret itself. There was no independent blister as on the Sperry remote ventral turret used on early B-17Es prior to the introduction of the ball turret.The Bendix was later used as the chin turret on B-17Gs with a remote control and reflector sight. As a ventral turret it was considered to be a failure by the AAF and was removed on a number of B-25s. The RAF often retained them and reportedly had more success with them.

Agree.
All the aircraft shown are from RAF 2 Group, UK based, and the "arid desert" was the English Channel and the coastline of France and / or Holland.
The footage of the Mitchells was more likely filmed in late 1943 to early 1944. The last section, with the Mosquito's, shows Percy 'Pic' Pickard putting on his 'Mae West', over the Paratrooper's Denison smock he regularly wore, and might have been shot at the time of the Amiens prison attack, February 1944, the raid he was lost on.

Remember reading somewhere that many Mitchells from the -D on were built without the Bendix ventral turret.

Remember reading somewhere that many Mitchells from the -D on were built without the Bendix ventral turret.
Early production G models had them. By and large they were removed from C, D and G models. Same for early B-24Ds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back